Author Topic: Lack of abo knappers on youtube?  (Read 5522 times)

Offline Mike_H

Lack of abo knappers on youtube?
« on: January 12, 2014, 08:49:55 pm »
Ok, we have AllergicHobbit (JackCrafty) and Iowabow, as well as Jim Winn and flintknapping  but that's really it.   Well, myself but I am far from proficient enough to teach.  Is abo really that taboo in the knapping world or could it be that most abo knappers are of the older generations and don't use the net?  It's really depressing to look up abo knapping and not find a lot of folks.

Offline iowabow

Re: Lack of abo knappers on youtube?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 09:36:25 pm »
Well I think it is really hard and takes a long time to learn. Marty is amazing and is one of the best. I have learned a ton from him and his videos. Most of my videos are only available through this web site but I can change that if you want. Also if there is something in particular that you would like to see I can make you a movie. That is if I can do it. Don't get this gang on here started on the copper abo thing trust me lol don't go there. :o
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 09:41:01 pm »
It will be like the osage is king post...ding the fights on! Lol

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 09:42:32 pm »
the lack of videos isn't really the problem, it's the lack of knappers.  Each knapper has his or her own style and that is really where we learn, not the actual techniques.  Both abo and modern techniques are remarkably similar.

Then again, copper abo does exist.  Still need to order some copper nuggets for the experiment but having a hard time finding a place that sells online.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 09:50:04 pm »
the lack of videos isn't really the problem, it's the lack of knappers.  Each knapper has his or her own style and that is really where we learn, not the actual techniques.  Both abo and modern techniques are remarkably similar.

Then again, copper abo does exist.  Still need to order some copper nuggets for the experiment but having a hard time finding a place that sells online.
ya I hear ya it would be nice to see more post on here as well but most folks here use modern copper type tools. I often jump over and hit the abo on paleoplanet.
The hardest thing for me was trying to learn reduction with antler.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 11:02:55 pm »
I think some of the abo knappers just don't do the net thing either. Roger Warmuskerken is one of the best and made some dvds way back but never on the You tube. Also some of us don't' even have a video camera.  I would probably post some videos but  No camera. there a few of me there with a wooden billet but they were taken by someone else.   I don't consider myself strictly an abo knapper, I can knap with pretty much any tool you give me even going back and forth sometimes on the same piece.   I also think most new knappers don't want to put in the patience and time it takes to learn it the abo way. Its a shorter path to  results  by using copper.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 11:47:38 pm »
There are plenty of abo knappers on youtube.  They just don't do abo videos.  Most of them just show their tools and some of the results.

It's not easy to film a knapping video that's clear and understandable, let alone trying to successfully knap a point with abo tools.  Also, many people tend to lose interest very quickly if the video covers the same ground as other vids.  It gets discouraging when you put a lot of time and effort into a vid that not many people will watch.

:)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 12:05:24 am »
I'm currently learning to knap with antler tools.  Whenever I feel comfortable making good solid arrowheads I will definitely make videos on it.   That could be several years though. lol  I did a video recently but didn't touch on abo knapping much as I don't really have any authority on the subject.  I mostly focused on the significance of the rock.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline xin

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 12:05:43 am »
Crafty, I have watched your videos many times and appreciate them more every time I see them.  I learned more from your videos than any else's videos.  Thank you again for taking the time and effort to produce them.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 12:34:00 am »
Thanks, Xin!  That means a lot.   :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Majuba Tom

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 02:52:52 am »
Crafty, I have watched your videos many times and appreciate them more every time I see them.  I learned more from your videos than any else's videos.  Thank you again for taking the time and effort to produce them.

I must 2nd what Xin wrote. I use mainly your indirect / horizontal punch technique. So thank you for your teachings.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 06:20:15 am »
Maybe I can speak for some of us older guys!  When I started in the 50s there were no videos, no internet, no information about techniques or tools.  Where I lived on a ranch in Wyoming there were lots of chipping grounds from the Sheepeaters.  They made gem quality points and tools.  They would spall rocks where they found them and carry them back to some camp site where they would make their points.  I could pick thru the spalls left behind and they are what I had to learn with.  I used elk, moose, and deer horns and some stones to chip with.  Thru a UA Journal I finally found a fellow named J B Sollberger from Dallas.  He was an authority for the time and I sent him lots of horns.  He used to send me his notes and to be honest I had no idea what he was talking about.  In the early sixties I had two college professors from Ft. Collins come to the ranch and we made a tape which was to be used in schools to demonstrate flint knapping.  I dressed up in my Indian gear and spent a couple of days making points and tools.  They sent me a funny shaped tape cassette of the results and seventy five dollars.  I still have that tape and have never been able to watch it.  I hunted arrow heads and used them as models for making all kinds of tools.  Over the years I started to go around the country attending knap ins and learned a lot of new to me techniques.  One knapin I attended was in Arkansas where I met Waldorf and his tribe.  I found them to be very hard to get to know and learned very little from them, but did start receiving his publication.  It was those knap ins where I first learned about modern copper tools.  I was hunting big game on the ranch with stone points and the copper just turned me loose making hunting points and skinning knives.  When I moved to Oregon and found new materials, agates, jaspers, and obsidian my knapping took another turn and I met Larry Schumacher.  He was the very best knapper I ever had the pleasure of watching and learning from.  Took my skills to a new level and started a new phase of my knapping life.  Now that I am old and have become a philosopher,  I would suggest that each of you will go through stages like I have and the knapper you are today may not even resemble the knapper you will become over the years.  There are lots of us old guys around the country that are without the ability to make videos to show others their skills.  It seems now a days that people learn to knap with copper as it is much easier where us old guys learned what is now called ABO.  The best a fellow can do is to pass on his techniques to the next generation!  Thanks for reading.  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 08:53:51 am »
Joe, sounds like some real good advice,Thanks. Bob

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 01:25:41 pm »
Well put Joe. 

I don't get to watch the YT vids much, can't get um at the house. I have learned most from sitting w/ folks at the Classic and at Glenn Black Lab in Bloomington, Indiana. Then going home and using the newly acquired info on a rock.  I try some abo stuff and use some copper too. I like to use hammerstones to thin, and depending on the rock, whatever I feel is best for the rest of it.  I like abo, but it's not as quick for me as copper is. Sometimes I just want to make a point, I use copper then. Depends on the rock. If I can use antler and the like, I do. Keep beatin them rocks and you'll keep gettin better. IMO, dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 10:25:21 pm »
Well, that's the thing.  I'm sure a lot of the old timers know folks that have cameras and access to youtube.  A deal could be struck in that reguards.

Yeah, I understand some folks can't watch youtube vids because of low speed internet or they just don't want to.  But there are many who are trying to learn and the written word just isn't cutting.  Knapping is a visual art and a visual format does help a lot.  Both Jackcrafty and Iowabow both have had comments to that effect

Hopefully more abo folks will start posting on youtube or even vimeo.