Author Topic: 2nd Annual Moon Tree Gathering  (Read 82088 times)

Offline Gsulfridge

Re: 2nd Annual Moon Tree Gathering
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2014, 10:12:02 pm »
Man, I cant wait!  Its been a long winter :-[  im ready for some bow making. And. .  .  . the riding lawn mower/archery challenge ;D. I am picking up a 1911 tomorrow hopefully. Not fancy like Steve's, but probably still out shoot him :laugh:
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2014, 12:50:06 am »
I hope the 1911 deal works out for you, Greg.  I've always liked 1911, having shot some that friends own.  But, I've never owned one.  They are on my bucket list of firearms to own, just because I want one.  Even the smallest 1911 clones are a bit large IMO for conceal carry and they are bit too small to hunt with, so I've not gotten around to making the investment. 

When Brian and I were at a gun shop together last month, he purchased a S&W MP in a .40 cal.  While not really a 1911,but close enough.  It shot well.  I like the caliber.  It seems anywhere you look for ammo, about the only caliber on the shelves is .40's.  I think Brian is bring that to Moon Tree. That maybe 2nd on my list of next guns to purchases.  I think next on my list will be a nice .22 pellet rifle with speed above 850 fps.  It would be sweet to pop squirrels, bunnies and bullfrogs with it around the farm. 
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2014, 06:31:25 am »
Good, high velocity pellet rifles are very handy indeed.  I like the looks of the M&P handguns.  I had a Glock .40 for a time.  It was a real shooter.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2014, 07:13:12 am »
Here is a little history on how this became the second annual. Pasted a few random comments in here and had to laugh at Ozzy's!

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,36172.0.html

I'm in Richmond, KY about 1 1/2 from Louisville.

Hey guys, I'm not trying to hijack a Louisville gathering of bow makers, but I just thought I'd throw this out there.  It seems I'm pretty much centrally located (about an 1 1/2 to 2 hours) from most of the folks who has responded to this threat.  I wouldn't mind hosting a gathering here.  I have a 16x20 workshop, a 50 acre farm for camping and shooting, two 3-D target with 4 shooting stations and could bushhog more station if anyone has more 3-D targets to bring. I have a guest cottage with 2 beds and floor space.  We could make a weekend of it.  Mid-March to mid-April would work for me.

I second hedgeapple's suggestion sounds like he already has the set up to have a gathering. I have rock staves some boards and river cane. I would really like to knap with you Tracy do you have Indiana hornstone in your area? I am pretty flexible if y'all set a date I could keep it open so I could come up.

I want to go too 

Tracy the dates will be March 22,23 and 24.
If anyone has 3-d targets they could bring, let me know and I'll bush hog a place to set them up.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #94 on: February 27, 2014, 08:13:00 am »
I think its funny Tracy and Ozzy had to drive for three hours and found out they are neighbors  ;D

Dave, The M&P is a nice gun.  Its next on my list.  A friend had the 9mm and I shot great with it.  It settled right back into position after each shot.

I need to get some ammo before I head south.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #95 on: February 27, 2014, 08:27:27 am »
Thanks for the nostalgic perspective, Tracy.

Greg, Clint, Brian's brother in law, buys, sells trades guns all his life, as well as reloads and shoots.  He told Brian the MP .40 was his favorite of all the guns he owns.  That was good enough for Brian, who was looking for a concealable/open carry pistol.  The price wasn't bad either, $480 new at our favorite little gun shop in Allen County.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2014, 07:22:37 am »
I bought the 1911.  It looks good and is a smooth operator.  It is not a major name brand (TISAS), but the fit and finish is good and it has great reviews.  It was new in the box from a friend of mine for $275.  They are $399 at the gun store.  I'm happy with it.  I still miss my Glock, though.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2014, 01:27:16 pm »
I think its funny Tracy and Ozzy had to drive for three hours and found out they are neighbors 

Yeah that was pretty ironic! 8  miles as the crow flies over the hills to be exact on how close!
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline seabass

« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2014, 05:34:35 pm »
you did good on that deal Greg.i have heard good things about those guns.i have a m&p 45 Dave.they are great guns.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2014, 06:27:43 am »
24 .  .  .  .It's getting closer!!

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #100 on: March 04, 2014, 12:42:36 pm »
Here's what I'm thinking for meals:
Friday night Fish Fry
1. Saturday night I have a couple ideas.  You guys help me decided:
I could set up a wood burning pizza oven and a pizza station: Everyone makes their own pizza. I've done this for other parties on the farm.  Down sides to this, I have to move the concrete blocks and fire bricks from the party field to the house.  I'd kind of like to bring it to the house anyway.  It takes about 2 hours to get the oven hot enough for pizzas.  It'll make 12 to 15 pizza's before it needs to be reheated, that will take another hour.  But it is pretty fun.

2. I could smoke a couple deer shoulders. I know I have 2 shoulders, I might need another one just to be sure we have enough.  Or I can supplement with other deer meat.  I would make my vinegar base BBQ sauce to go with it.
Let me know what you guys prefer.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2014, 01:55:53 pm »
Great idea on the shoulders!  I just happen to have two (albeit small) hind quarters off my first self bow kill that are just waiting for the appropriate time to thaw.  I couldn't think of a better way than to share them with my friends that helped me get started in primitive archery.  So, chalk me up for two small deer hind quarters and a cheesecake or two.
23.  .  .  .  :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2014, 02:07:11 pm »
Sounds great to me Dave.  I've never had a fire baked pizza.  What can I bring?

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #103 on: March 04, 2014, 08:24:41 pm »
I'm up for whatever Dave just let me know what I need to bring.
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2014, 10:59:22 pm »
I'll have to check the freezer but I might have some deer roast I could bring and make in my slow cooker with some potatoes and carrots. 

Dave, are we going to eat dinner before midnight this year?  Just kidding  ;D   I went to bed early that night  :P and missed it.