Author Topic: methods  (Read 2110 times)

Offline streamflyer

methods
« on: January 13, 2014, 08:58:08 pm »
Hey erbody. I'm new to bowhunting this year and am hunting the black hills. I'm curious how you guys hunt. how often if ever do you move. do you alwYs use a stand or do you use a blind. does anyone spot and stalk successfuly? do you use cover scents or attractants? how about calling? after a failed season its time learn more.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: methods
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 08:20:14 am »
I am sure someone will chim in from your part of the world,I would love to help but I hunt in the hills of Tennessee and it is a different kind of hunting around here.I hunt from a stand most of the time and from what I hear and read most out west spot and stalk. :)
 appy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 09:55:50 am »
  Learn to call,what calls or call to use when and were, learn to hunt the wind, learn how to get in and out to your hunting site with the  wind. The less deer know their being hunted the easyer  they are to kill.

Don't fall in to the advertisements and all the things you just have t0 have to kill deer. BELEIVE ME YOU DON'T NEED ALL THE  GAGETS.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline KrisDelger

• Just another guy breaking sticks
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 10:22:21 am »
  Learn to call,what calls or call to use when and were, learn to hunt the wind, learn how to get in and out to your hunting site with the  wind. The less deer know their being hunted the easyer  they are to kill.

Don't fall in to the advertisements and all the things you just have t0 have to kill deer. BELEIVE ME YOU DON'T NEED ALL THE  GAGETS.

Crooketarrow is completely right on this. You don't need the gimmicks, you just need practice, and patience. If you spot and stalk, try to stay in the shadows of trees, behind rock faces, in thickets, move quickly but quietly. When I hunt I move like I'm taking a brisk walk through the fields. Sometimes the animals spook, other times they just don't think I'm after them I guess.
I guess the biggest tips would be make sure you've got water on hand or can get to it easily, watch your step, don't take a shot you can't make, and trust in your gut.
I don't use cover scents accept sagebrush (My camp soap has sage brush in it for some reason) Honestly I've never felt the need to use them, if you keep the wind in your face it shouldn't matter. Calling I'm not very versed in since I've never really had luck with it in my neck of the woods. From what your area looks like I'm guessing spot and stalk might work out best, then again you could sit a water hole if you wanted or set a blind on a game trail.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 10:31:06 am by KrisDelger »
Just a young guy with a filing cabinet for a memory and a whole lot of useless information.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 05:24:42 pm »
  I've alled up dozzens,dozzens and more dozzens oif buycks throught the years. I ptomass you calling  works where ever there's deer.

It's all in what you do when how and where and how solf or agressive you call.
Learn to set up with the wind.
Set up wehere bucks can't get down wind and wind you.

I saw 41 bucks this year going 45 times. 31 Were called up 3 others called up useing decoys.

No better way of increaseing your buck sightings that calling other than haveing a light in your handsd.

DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING