Author Topic: 80# hickory longbow  (Read 13745 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: 80# hickory longbow
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 09:18:34 am »
A 500 grain arrow out of an 80# bow is quite taxing on the bow. Id try to put together a 650 grain plus arrow to keep that bow healthy for a few years.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 10:14:13 am »
I would wait for the busted flock to re-settle in the trees, then pull out that big dog  >:D
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline John D

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 10:28:21 am »

Offline Badger

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 11:02:27 am »
  Shooting at any animal with a self bow or any bow for that matter from 60 yards in not responsible, too big of a chance of wounding and loosing the animal. Quite a few bow hunters would kick you out of camp for taking shots at 60 yards. A hunter has a responsibility to make every effort to make a clean humane kill, it won't always happn but we need to make an effort at least.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014, 11:10:51 am »
I would wait for the busted flock to re-settle in the trees, then pull out that big dog  >:D

You can shoot roosting turkeys?
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 11:12:28 am »
  Shooting at any animal with a self bow or any bow for that matter from 60 yards in not responsible, too big of a chance of wounding and loosing the animal. Quite a few bow hunters would kick you out of camp for taking shots at 60 yards. A hunter has a responsibility to make every effort to make a clean humane kill, it won't always happn but we need to make an effort at least.

Somebody needed to say it.  Uhhhh, yeah... ???
1’—>1’

Offline midmainebowyer

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 11:27:04 am »
hahaha. Un ethicial and illegal to take em from a tree here... ( love the scare and stalk method)
When we are needed most, we will fight and die another day.

Offline midmainebowyer

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2014, 11:33:53 am »
so long as the archers skill is honed enough and the animal not too big then the arrow still has plenty of energy at 60. Plenty for turkey anyway. As for humane....im a hick friend. I hunt for food more than sport. My family aint got much money. So the more meat in that freezer the less we spend on food......humane doesent enter my head. Would I take a shot I KNOW shouldent be taken? No. Do I belive ppl limit themselves compared to the distance u actuly CAN use a bow? Yes

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 11:35:29 am »
I have one question.

Are these turkeys armoured?  Lol
pardon? Lol. Is that a stab at the draw weight or my hunting skills, mah good sir?

Lol just wondering why your using such a heavy draw for turkey hunting.

Offline midmainebowyer

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 11:39:50 am »
I have one question.

Are these turkeys armoured?  Lol
pardon? Lol. Is that a stab at the draw weight or my hunting skills, mah good sir?

Lol just wondering why your using such a heavy draw for turkey hunting.
I figured id make a one bow does most kinda deal. Will be hunting MUCH larger game. Going 4 bear this year

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 12:01:24 pm »
ahhh gotcha

Offline Josh B

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2014, 12:05:56 pm »
Pics of the bow please?  Josh

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2014, 12:27:40 pm »
A good 50# bow and a razor sharp 2 blade head is the ticket. Turkeys weigh nothing, 3 blade heads push the bird at impact rather than penetrate. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badger

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2014, 12:29:34 pm »
   I have yet to meet a traditional bow hunter who can consistently hit a kill shot at 60 yards, how do you know the exact distance? I realize you are young but you need to have a bit more respect for the animals you are hunting.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 12:30:32 pm »
Someday we'll meet Steve.......:)