Author Topic: 80# hickory longbow  (Read 13748 times)

Offline BrokenArrow

Re: 80# hickory longbow
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2014, 03:35:11 pm »
I have a 65 pound hickory bow, hickory backed with hickory 66 inches long and it shoots 180fps with 125 grain tips :)

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2014, 11:11:26 pm »
Suckers.....LOL...You guys have certainly not been acquainted with Maine Humour....Welcome aboard Lobster Wrangler...You should go with a heavier arrow and you should see between 170 and 180fps....That is a great weight for bear and moose. I can build some heavier arrows for you if needed....

Guys, Maine is a dense State with heavy understory...A 60 yard shot is possible in about 2 spots in the State...Everything else is very thick. A 1200 lb Moose could be right next to you and not even see it...

When did turkey get re introduced into Maine??? Was hunting there in 2005 and saw narry a one...
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2014, 02:03:37 am »
My favorite thing about wood longbows is that they are so quiet.  I see that as a huge benefit for a hunting weapon and make them a better weapon choice in my mind than a high-tech trad set-up that shoots 20 fps faster but wakes up the neighborhood when the string comes down.  A heavier arrow, 10-12 grains of arrow per pound of bow draw weight is a key ingredient in a quiet hunting set-up.  Get that energy into your arrow and into your prey, rather than rattling around in the limbs and string. 

Welcome to PA!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline 4dog

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2014, 10:01:50 am »
we are not gonna see this bow are we??     ???  guess thats a big fat no.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2014, 01:04:09 pm »
Maine humour.....so thats what you call it.  It would seem male bovine fecal matter and "Maine humour" are nearly indistinguishable.  I suspect that the bow is another bit of "Maine humour".  4dog you may be right.  I hope not.  I hope he's just been indisposed for a bit and will get around to sharing this bow he speaks of.   Josh