Author Topic: Making a Half Eye bow string  (Read 10023 times)

Offline half eye

Making a Half Eye bow string
« on: January 19, 2014, 05:16:35 pm »
fellas,
     Had a few inquiry's about my bowstrings. So took some pics showing how I do it.

The material is 70# artificial sinew string with heavy wax. I shoot all my bows bare fingered and do not serve the strings either, so I tend to make my strings a bit on the "fat" side but they will still quite hold a plastic knock.

The simple version is this. With the bow in my lap I pull out enough string for the length of the bow, and 1 foot more. I then draw string out as I go back and forth to the desired # of strands. ( I originally figured that the 70# was just about that so a six strand will be in the 420# range and never had any issues with bows up to 70 lbs, with the exception that they are pretty small in diameter and cut my fingers pretty easy)  An 8 strand is overkill for strength but is just about right for bare fingers up to 55# or so.

Once you have the correct # of strands, cut the line loose from the spool, and at the same time cut the individual line loops at that end. Pull out about 10" from the cut end and lay it on your leg with the right hand and "roll" it on your leg with the left hand. Take this 10" of single string and double it over. Once doubled over tie a "double overhand knot" . As you tighten this knot, make sure to adjust the loop size to fit the limb of your bow. Now hang the loop from a hook or nail or such and pull it straight. Cut the line loops as be fore and separate the individual strands, pull each strand tight until you have all of the tight lines in your left hand. Reach up with the right while holding the ends with your left and briskly rub the string to melt the wax all together. (This makes a lot of heat so you MAY need a glove) once you have done that tie a single overhand knot at the end of the string and your done.

I slide the loop over the top limb and hold it till I measure the string down to the lower knock point and tie that end off with a set of half hitches. String the bow and re-rub the string briskly, then draw the bow several times and see where your at for brace height, if you need to adjust it is easiest to dismount the loop and give it a few twists and then re-string. 

The whole thing takes about 5 minuets, total. I have never had a string failure, but I do pay attention to their condition.

There are 14 pics so it will be about 3 posts. If there is any confusion about the pictures I will post a photo index (the pictures are in sequential order) # 10 is not present as it is superfluous .

Any questions please let me know, trying to be helpful not confusing.
rich

Offline half eye

Re: Making a Half Eye bow string
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 05:18:47 pm »
second set of pics

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 05:19:55 pm »
last picture

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 09:02:50 pm »
Thanks for postin Rich. I serve all my strings, but I gotta say, I like the idea of not. Just for the sake of making things more simple. Plus I'm guessing the primitives didn't serve strings. ;)

Also, I just fairly recently started tying all my strings onto the bottom limb. For whatever reason, that's where they lose most of their twist. Any ideas about that?

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 09:30:20 pm »
Dave,
    With the string knotted on both ends and then tied down solid I don't why the string can "unwind". The only suggestion I can recommend would be to slide the loop off the upper end and re-twist the lower part of the string then maybe a couple twists to the entire string and re-brace the bow and re-wax your string and rub the dickens out of it. Beyond that I really never have had to deal with that.
    These strings are strong, easy, and make a real fine hunting string. Are they better than other types....probably not but they work very well and involve a lot less work or tools than the other types as well. Anyhow, sorry I don't have a definitive answer for you.
rich

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 09:37:00 pm »
Thanks, just wondered if I was the only one dealing with that issue. I've used the art. sinew before. I do like it.

Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 08:38:32 am »
Rich,
        When you said a " couple of half hitches " is that the same as a bowyers knot/loop? I understand the top loop. Could you post some close ups of both ends? Also do you think this would work well with heavily waxed linen?
                                                                  Thanks, Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 08:52:30 am »
I have a couple of Halfeye bows with Rich's custom strings on them and they are awesome. Great build along, Rich!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline half eye

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 05:18:41 pm »
Don,
    No it is not the same. What I do is put the loop about where I want it and then run the string down to the lower limb knock and hold it with the left hand in position, ten wrap around the knock and under the main string. Then back over and through the loop, pull that tight. Then wrap right around again and again under the main string. Then go over the string and trough the loop and pull it up tight.
     This gives 2 wraps on the knock, string and shoulder. Holds real good but is still real easy to "loosen" up to untie. If the photos aren't clear let me know please.
rich

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 05:54:19 pm »
Rich,
        Thank you sir... That is very clear and looks very secure. Thanks again for going the extra mile...I will definitely give this a try, I absolutely hate making bow strings. This idea looks quick and easy. The last couple I made were endless loop out of linen and were a complete pain serving the loops. I only have linen now and will try some heavily waxed your way.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 06:05:11 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline half eye

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 06:13:26 pm »
Don, I've never used linen, but from what I understand it's maybe stronger than the AS, don't see where there should be any trouble what so ever. Probably more authentic as well.
rich

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 02:37:59 pm »
is your art sinew nylon or polyester?
that string looks super primitive!
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline half eye

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 04:33:49 pm »
Dont really know bud, this spool came from 3-Rivers. It's just plain old 70# artificial sinew.
rich

Offline DuBois

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 01:57:45 pm »
Thanks Rich, I'm gonna give it a try on a couple short bows I am wrappin up.
Marco

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 01:41:29 pm »
Just saw this Rich

Looking at a couple of strings (and bows) you made for my grandsons....I get it now.
Thanks for sharing.

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.