Author Topic: BL molle buildalong: FINISHED!  (Read 14469 times)

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
BL molle buildalong: FINISHED!
« on: January 29, 2014, 03:23:58 am »
I'm doing this primarily for /r/bowyer on reddit but figured a couple people here might appreciate it (or laugh with me if it blows up ;) ). I haven't decided on draw weight at twenty eight inches yet or proportions as I just picked out the stave this evening right before I ran out of light.

This is the stave. It's some fairly dense (not incredible, but decent) black locust with little twist save for a few inches at one end. It's close to sixty eight inches long, about as tall as I am, and it's just about perfect for a mollegabet.

It's a little wavy from the side, some reflex and deflex here and there. I might heat bend some areas to match, but usually I like to leave a bow with its original character.

Most of the rings are medium thickness relative to my experience with black locust. I plan on going down two or three rings everywhere but the tips to do blended knocks, which are my favorite knocks, which you saw on that earlier mollegabet I posted.

I just used a string where I normally wouldn't to give an idea of the current alignment. Easy adjustment to make.

That's all for today, I'll be showing some ring chasing action and the rough blank before I post a part one album on reddit, but you'll probably get more current updates.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 07:52:24 pm by huisme »
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline TRACY

Re: BL molle buildalong: barely started
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 07:11:40 am »
Looks like you're off to a good start Hulsme! Enjoy working BL also and will be following this one.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline huisme

Re: BL molle buildalong: part two: chasing a ring or two
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 05:16:45 pm »
Finally have this much done for reddit, and my camera dies. Go figure  >:(

I'm going to do a very simple handle with only minor forming on the belly. The handle is roughly four and a half inches, off -center by about half an inch, and about an inch wide. The fades are two inches and will be rounded. I'll eventually add a jute wrap and leather shelf.

To place the outer fades and levers I take a string and lay the tip at the tip of the stave.

I pick a spot roughly two thirds of the length of the limb away from the handle, then -

- I pinch the string and make a mark. I don't let go of the string because-

- I use the string to mark an equal-length lever on the bottom limb.

I like to mark my rough levers about the width of my thumb. I'll grind it down with my rasp later; the levers will be very narrow but thick, maintaining maximum strength at minimum mass.

It's very important that the levers follow the grain. excessive runoff, especially if the center strand of wood fibers is interrupted, spells explosion. I try to let the wood split away for most of the lever forming rather than cut through the wood.

And my camera died when I started to hog away wood  ???

When I say it's time to hog away wood, I mean this is as far as I got with exactly fifty swings of the machete. My machete is indeed faster than my other tools, but I'm still very slow and methodical about every shaving I take from the stave.

More when I get batteries I guess ::)

I should mention that I'm starting this build along with a wet stave. It's been drying in the garage for a month, so it should be crisp in a timely fashion. If not, we can wait a couple weeks at a time, right?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 06:42:56 pm by huisme »
50#@26"

Offline IdahoMatt

Re: BL molle buildalong: part one complete
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 02:47:47 am »
Looking good man keep em coming. 

Offline huisme

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 02:07:54 am »
I've tried three different brands and none of them last long enough in the camera for me to record ring chasing for the people of reddit. I'm just going to get the best I've found again and stick to pictures.
50#@26"

Offline huisme

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 06:41:51 pm »
Since I'm doing blended knocks some of this will be left on. It isn't particularly important to get exact dimensions during the initial ring chase since it will probably be adjusted and finished with the rasp and scraper later.

One ring at a time I remove two rings just under the tip of the bow. I don't start peeling down the lever and limb until I'm under both rings, but once I am I do not cut all the way through the last ring of early wood. You should try to use the crunchy early wood to get the edge under the hard late wood and lift it off, more like peeling than cutting.

It's difficult to come off a slope like this without cutting the back a little, but since I was using very short strokes to remove tiny amounts at a time I've gone no deeper than my scraper and sandpaper will go later.

As a matter of fact, this is right after a couple of scrapes.

I continue down the back of the bow toward the handle and uncover one of the other reasons I'm chasing two rings: WORM!!!! It only goes through the early wood, and its point of entrance isn't on this bow anymore (it was right beside a lever), so it's nothign to worry about now.

Here I've done a very light scraping around my rings, which are about ten inches from the handle. The peaks are the easiest places to get the draw knife under and get a good peel going for a couple of inches, after which there will be new peaks to go at.

The best closeups I could get hopefully shows the crunchy, rough-textured early wood going under the dense, smooth late wood. The exposed late wood you see was not cut at all, it was lightly scraped. This final layer of wood should be untouched for as long as possible.

I usually try to go up and down the whole bow without doing any scraping or otherwise making contact with the final ring. This allows me to really baby the last bit of early wood off the surface and have the best possible back for my bow.

I only go to the handle from each direction. I've had issues with weird tear-outs in the past, and going to the middle of the bow was what fixed it. Don't know if it's proper practice, but it's what I do.

Just above the handle is the only pin knot I feel the need to be aware of. The grain was, on the outer rings, very interrupted by this thing, and so it needs to be kept mostly intact to avoid grain runoff in the middle of the bow.

I worked right up to it from the nearest tip, and now I flip the stave over and, using very short draws, work toward it from the opposite direction, just pealing the late wood rings away to reveal the early growth around the knot.

Sometimes I scrape with the machete, sometimes with the draw knife. Either way, this is about what it looks like. Try to angle the edge so you're not getting caught on the wood and apply firm pressure while you drag the edge across areas with early wood.

Scrape this-

to get this.

And so we now have a good clean back for our bow. The tips will be shaped with a rasp and scraper from here, giving them good clean surfaces.

The side profile will need to be fixed. I'm going to steam reflex into the upper limb (which I'm holding here) to give the mollegabet a reflex-deflex profile, which will be slightly easier on the inner limbs and otherwise look pretty sweet.

I've had it by the fire, which would have been disastrous if I hadn't sealed the ends and intended to chase rings. As you can see, none of the exposed ends have checks.

What I'll do now is reduce the limbs to that darker ring you see. I'm not sure what weight that'll give me, but it shouldn't be less than sixty pounds if that were the final fade-limb transition.
50#@26"

Offline huisme

Re: BL molle buildalong: part three: roughing the limbs
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 02:50:00 am »
Alright, I neglected to take pics when I roughed the limbs of the build bow so I'm calling in this other molle in the works to demonstrate, mostly for the people of reddit.

It's supposed to come out around fifty pounds at twenty eight inches, I'm going to tiller it to twenty nine, but that's not important since this isn't the build bow ???

I start reducing the belly at the inner fade of either limb. I don't go evenly up and down the limb and reduce it all at once, I peel from the fade down when I get to one inch limb thickness. One inch really isn't necessary, it just gives me plenty of room to refine.

I chase to that ring you see because it was the one inch ring. By chasing this ring I ensure that I will establish the taper with greater control later on, and a chased belly ring has never cracked on me during heat bending.

http://i.imgur.com/ETbFwPZ.jpg

Once I get about half way down the limb I turn the bow over-

- and start the taper from the outer fade being careful to stop at one inch. The outer fade should be reduced as much as possible; it shouldn't have any extra mass on it for decoration, it's right in the middle of the limb and should be light as a feather.

I managed to get the same ring from the outer fade as from the inner so I've chased my ring already. It's not like it's a big hassle or risk as long as the outer limb, the weakest point in the bow, doesn't get weaker than you need for your intended draw weight.

And this is the build molle cleaned up with the rasp.

It's still got a huge handle and log-like levers, but that's a really straightforward rasping. I'll probably photograph my handle forming for reddit.

50#@26"

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: BL molle buildalong: part three added
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 06:33:28 am »
I'll be following this one closely and thanks for posting the build.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline huisme

Re: BL molle buildalong: part three added
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 10:02:53 pm »
Sometimes I wonder why I'm taking so long. Then I look to my left and I just sigh a little...

Right now holding this thing is like holding a splintery brick. It needs to be thinned and formed, and the tool for that job is the rasp.

It will be thinned from both sides with that little knot marking the center, probably. Since the handle is relatively thick there's plenty of wood for a very narrow handle.

In your rasping be sure to consider what kind of resistance the material will offer. When you go with the grain you can be sure you'll cut and remove nice little pieces of wood. If you go against the grain like I did, you'll tear the back off your bow like those bits of skin on the back of your finger.

This is good, going from the back to the belly.

This is bad. Very bad. For bows, that is. If the objective is to peel the back and make splinters, it's perfect.

It doesn't take long to do twenty scrapes at a time until I've got the handle to a comfortable width. The knot is just off center but still in the handle.

The grip is only slightly formed, just the way I like it. It will need refinement to really be comfortable, but for now it's okay.

It was the same old same old rasping from both sides until the whole lever is about as big as my thumb and then taking a little off the belly of the tip to match the slight recurve effect of those extra rings.

I'm marking the nocks to be about the tip of my index finger from the tip of the bow. You can go longer or shorter on the tips past the nock, but there's a happy medium where they're not so long there's too much leverage breaking the nock, and it's not so short there can't be any repairs ever. I do not know this medium, I just go with my fingers.

I remove wood from the extra rings very slowly, being very careful to identify the back of the bow. It's important that the back of the bow not be touched, and that a sliver of the bottom extra ring be intact to keep the string from cutting into the early wood between it and the back.

As you can see this nock is deep enough for my tillering string without going into the second ring. I will use that ring, but there isn't much room and I'd rather finish it when the tips are more narrow.

I know this method really suck for showing you guys, but my tillering stick also sucks and doesn't hold the bow with its reflex and formed handle.

It's hard to see, but the upper/right limb is bending more in the fade and stiff in the middle, where the bottom/left limb is bending evenly except for right out of the fade. It'll be easy to fix, and I might have to do extra scraping just to reduce weight when all is said and done.

It will be a lot easier to show the tiller when I've got this thing braced, so for now I'm going to do light scraping in those stiff spots and go until I get a low brace. I'll see you then!
50#@26"

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
Re: BL molle buildalong: part four added
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 01:43:38 am »
That's lookin real good.
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline huisme

Re: BL molle buildalong: part four added
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 09:49:49 pm »
There really wasn't much to do for the tiller. A few scrapes in exactly where I mentioned was all it took to get to where we are now.

The upper tip is still pretty heavy for a mollegabet, but it's come to be perfectly centered despite its wriggly character. The nock is cut a little larger than the bottom to accommodate any stringers that might be used.

The bottom is a model lever; truly something for all little levers to aspire to be when they grow up. It's easy and fast to shape, which is probably why in this pic it's still thicker than I want.

Because I used the convex edge of my machete for all the scraping the outer limb, especially the bottom seen here, is concave. This is nothing to worry or get excited over really, the limb functions just the same as any other, but it's still a little heavy here.

So I make a bunch of squiggly lines about where I think needs to be reduced.

It's important to note the character of this bow when critiquing the tiller. There's some deflex from both ends of the handle, and a little bit more reflex in the other bottom limb than the top.

I take the convex edge of my machete and only scrape enough to eliminate the lines I've drawn. I check the grain pattern as I go as well for an on-the-go tiller guesstimate.

Now that the tiller looks a little more even I'll continue to pull, and I ended up only taking five or so scrapes to get to full draw.

Now this ugly mass has to come off the top lever. The right edge is the back of the bow, and I'm going to scrape and sand this thing until the belly matches. I'm also going to get rid of that hump and thin the base of the lever to roughly thumb dimensions.

Once it's thinned I'll have about the best mass efficiency I'll get with this snaky lever-- but if I really wanted mass efficiency I would have straightened the lever. You all know I just think it looks cool.
All that sanding obviously means I have to mask up, even though I hate these things. Black locust is slightly carcinogenic, so better annoyed and safe than comfy now and cancer later.

About fifteen minutes later and I've got this side profile. It is not perfect, I'll probably take a couple more passes with the sandpaper, but it's light as a feather.

The back profile is much nicer too, looking very minimalistic.

I thinned the tips to nearly their final dimensions. I'll round the corners a little better with sandpaper, but for now they'll hold the string I made for this thing. eight strands of fast flight plus with two decorative strands of daecron.

I used my finger for a guesstimation of how long to make the string.

It worked well enough. A couple more twists after it's shot a few times.

The belly in that area I've been asked about a few times. Black locust is a very chrysal happy wood, meaning compression fractures form anywhere and everywhere that's overstressed. There are none, so I know I haven't overworked that deflexed area.

And so this is where we call the build along done. Its a very straightforward sanding and sealing from here. I'll see you when she's pretty!
50#@26"

Offline Peacebow_Coos

Re: BL molle buildalong: part five, done until she's pretty!
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 02:32:24 am »
Cool build along Huisme, thanks.  The Khukri is a versatile tool/weapon as will be that Molle!

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 09:29:31 am »
Excellent build-along! Good job. You sure didn't forget to take pictures of any step. I know it's not easy to do a full, detailed build-along. But you succeeded.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 08:58:30 pm »
burn him hes a witch! magic must be involved, I work on BL and get cut up more than the wood! you have a wicked touch with that stuff man, gorgeous molly. someone is going to be very happy to find that on their doorstep. do you work with other woods?
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline huisme

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 03:20:16 am »
It's been my primary wood, all but a few of my bows are black locust. I'm trying to get a few vine maple character bows turned out, going to try for some ash from a neighbor, maybe some walnut, pacific yew for my first attempt at laminates. I think I'm always going to come back to my BL mollegabets, though. I love these things ;D
50#@26"