Author Topic: why build a cage for those deer ulnas  (Read 7314 times)

Offline iowabow

why build a cage for those deer ulnas
« on: February 05, 2014, 04:24:12 pm »
For ABO nuts...Here is a cage for deer ulna bones. The question is why put them in a cage?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 04:30:05 pm by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

Re: why build a cage for those deer ulnas
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 04:25:14 pm »
The answer is.......SO THE LEGS WONT RUN OFF >:D >:D

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 04:28:45 pm »
The cage needs to be large enough so that you can cover the bones with leaves so the bone, meat, tendons and hide don't dry out. The moist material is prefect food for beetles coming out of hibernation and looking for a free meal. The wire opening is large enough to allow mice and bugs in but will keep the mice from carrying the small ulna bones down a hole or a fox from carrying a bone off into the woods
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 04:32:23 pm by iowabow »

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 04:33:22 pm »
I clean mine using the controlled canine method. I give them to the my dogs over a few days for just a little time each day until they are cleaned then put them away to finish drying ;D
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 04:33:28 pm »
If you did not like the joke in this post blame Will H hehe

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 04:47:06 pm »
I clean mine using the controlled canine method. I give them to the my dogs over a few days for just a little time each day until they are cleaned then put them away to finish drying ;D
kinda the k9 plus saliva trick ....sound good to me

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 06:25:29 pm »
Finished now I will add legs leaves and wire shut.

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 06:28:33 pm »
As I said in the other thread.  I hung mine from a tree, then scraped and sanded them clean.  But to each their own.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 06:51:57 am »
I liked the joke John ! How clean/white do they get by burying? I've hung them out of reach and had to clean them up some. Used baking soda and water paste marinade and it does a good finishing clean. Looks like an easy build and process.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline iowabow

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 07:52:59 am »
Tracy my plan on this post is to demonstrate how fast the bugs can clean the boned up. Last year the bones were cleaned by May. The mice will clean the ends so there should not be any additional cleaning. The sun drying will turn them white.

Glad you liked the joke!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 09:23:07 am »
I'll be curious to watch.  Fire ant piles do the work for us down here.  Doesn't take them long.
1’—>1’

Ahnlaashock

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 11:53:53 am »
Why not just skin them and get it over with?  Three cuts and the skin is pretty much gone.  Cut the cartilage on the sides, flex the joint, clip the interior ligaments, and take it apart.  It doesn't take as long to do, as to say it. 

Offline iowabow

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 05:54:10 pm »
Why not just skin them and get it over with?  Three cuts and the skin is pretty much gone.  Cut the cartilage on the sides, flex the joint, clip the interior ligaments, and take it apart.  It doesn't take as long to do, as to say it.
There are other parts from the leg I would like to keep.  When I have used the knife I tend break them in the process. (Please take the follow with no disrespect intended) Not sure we are talking about the same bone.  The ulna bone is the thin bone that runs along the radius. This bone is like glued to the radius and (at least for me) is hard to remove from the radius.  Rather than risk breaking a prized large deer ulna bone I let the bugs and mice just do there thing on all the bones including the ulna.

Ahnlaashock

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 08:26:31 pm »
I did not make an argument about trying to separate them. 
I simply asked why leave the skin on, delaying the results, or the joint for that matter, when they are very easy to remove, making the natural clean up take much less time.  I also let mother nature eat the membranes and tissue or use water soaks to separate bone when needed.  I tend to do as others have said, and hang them in a tree for the insects and the birds when I do need to let nature separate them. 
Just asking, not an implied criticism of any kind. 

Offline stickbender

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 12:22:39 am »

You must have awful small mice in your neck of the woods, to get through that small of a mesh. :o
As for mice, wouldn't they damage the ulna?  As they will gnaw on the bone.  the beetles are a good idea, but the mice I would not want to have them gnawing on the bones.  Like Parnell said, down here, a Fire Ant mound will take care of them in a few days.  There won't be much of anything attached to the bone after those little mini piranhas get through with them.  Good for cow horns too.  Or any bones, or such you want to remove meat, and such from.  But if this works for you, go for it.  I was just wondering how the mice were going to get into the cage.  Though I have found mice in half inch emt pipe with 14 gauge wire in it.  I have found two, when I was working as an Electrician's helper years ago.

Wayne