Author Topic: Need Supplies  (Read 2624 times)

Offline Bilbanzabar

Need Supplies
« on: February 08, 2014, 11:58:58 pm »
Hey guys, I am knew to bow making and am still learning the trade.  I am currently reading the Bowyer's Bible and getting ready to make my first bow.  As far as tools go, any recommendations on a good list for basic tools to get for starting out?  Also, I live in Bisbee, Arizona, it is a small town in southern Arizona.  Anyone know where I can get supplies or where I can get wood to start me off?  Anyone nearby willing to help me out?  I can work out a trade.  If not anyone know where is the best places to look for wood? 

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Need Supplies
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 10:39:36 am »
Welcome to PA! I live in Michigan, so cant help ya find wood there. What do you have to put up for a trade?

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 01:51:39 pm »
Again welcome to PA! If there is an antique store around you, look for an old draw blade. my favorite tools come from antique stores, old estate sales, and reuse centers. cheaper than new and usually better in my opinion. aling the lines of wood, check out town barns and ask landscapers what they do with their "scraps". always can try board bows too. So a drawblade,  rough and a smoother rasp, SAND PAPER!!!!!! and a lot of elbow grease is a good start. good luck and let everyone see what ya come up with!
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline 4dog

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 06:16:26 pm »
and a nice hatchet...all that i can add to your list ..sorry..and good luck!
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 08:30:13 pm »
Ah knew I would leave something out good catch 4dog.
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 09:50:48 pm »
I live in Flagstaff. I can tell you that the Navajo and Hopi often made bows from Gambel's Oak. I saw a nice one a Navajo showed me that was made from Gambel's Oak. According to him, Gambel's Oak backed with sinew is what was often used. You're in Bisbee, so you could drive somewhere close and get that. Get a woodcutting permit from the forest service and make sure it covers Gambel's Oak.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 02:31:32 am »
I use my scrapers a lot! Old broken band saw blades make good scrapers if you have a way to grind them. Heck what have you got to trade I have an excess of blades from metal cutting saw I could grind some up for you. Been planning to put a bunch up on here any way just haven't got around to it yet.
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline Bilbanzabar

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 11:59:14 am »
I really don't have much to trade.  In the sense of trade I was more thinking if someone was looking for something I could see if I have it (since I am still new I am a little unfamiliar with the kinds of things people trade).  Thanks for all the advice and welcome guys.  I am really excited to start all this.  I think I am going to start with board bows since the wood is fairly easy to get (I did some more reading), and then move my way up to self cut wood.  Thanks for the info Dharma!  I love to go camping up north, next time I go I will definitely try to get my hands on some Gambel's Oak.  Bowsandroses, what kind of things are you looking to trade?  I wouldn't mind increasing my tool collection.   

Offline 1442

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 09:52:54 pm »
Welcome!  Do ya have knappable rocks around you. That would be an excellent trade item. I would trade something for some rocks.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 09:58:09 pm »
Welcome!  Do ya have knappable rocks around you. That would be an excellent trade item. I would trade something for some rocks.

Using 21st century technology in order to trade sticks and rocks!  The irony does not escape me.  I love this website!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 08:29:24 pm »
It would be easier and cheaper for you to tap everybodies brain on this site and learn to make some simple tools, like scrapers from saw blades for free. I find lots of wood rasps, old butcher knives, hatchets at Flea Markets and yard sales for pennies. If nothing else, you can stock up on that kind of stuff and then have some trade goods for guys that don't want to take the time to look for it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline 4dog

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 09:18:43 am »
who said i was lazy???  fess up!!  lol
"SET" is always there !!!