Author Topic: Question About Howard Hill Style Selfbow?  (Read 3979 times)

Offline WoodBenderDW

Question About Howard Hill Style Selfbow?
« on: February 10, 2014, 08:30:37 pm »
The other day I bought the book Hunting The Hard Way by Howard Hill.  I read the chapter on How To Make Bows.  I would like to make the bow he describes in there.  However he is talking about using lemonwood (good luck finding that now), but I will be using hickory.  My question is (for anyone that has the book) on page 101 the limb cross section shows a more rounded D shaped belly.  My experience has led me to think hickory is more suited to flat belly.  What are your thoughts on how to go about making this?  It looks like more like this would have narrower (1-1/4" at fade with straight pyramid taper to 1/2" nocks) but thicker limbs?  Ideally I want it to resemble the bow he is holding on the cover on the most recent release of this book.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Question About Howard Hill Style Selfbow?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 09:06:32 pm »
I think hickory and probably most woods function best with flat bellies. Most of the time the belly is slightly rounded anyway when using hand tools.

If you are looking to replicate then make the belly rounded. In those days they thought that was the best design.

They also thought the only viable bow woods were osage and yew and those woods do ok with rounded bellies.

Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 10:32:44 pm »
Have you thought about getting some comparable wood? Ipe and Hickory will let you make an exact dimensional replica.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 11:53:52 pm »
The American longbow(ALB) came about when wood characteristics, other than osage and yew, dictated a flatter, rectangular cross section.  I've just finished up a hickory backed lemonwood bow that was built in the classic ALB style.  I would build more of a true "Hill" style bow with osage or yew but an ALB style with most other woods. If you like the Hill style handle you can use it on an ALB.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 04:31:09 am »
Hickory needs to be wider and thinner compared to lemonwood (degame).

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 01:12:48 pm »
It's worth considering that Howard Hill preferred a bit of string follow in his bows, and a rounded belly will tend to provide that, all the more so with hickory.  There is nothing inherently wrong with that so long as you are willing to sacrifice a bit of pure speed in the interest of the other benefits that design allows.  Personally, I am happy with it.  If you are to, then so be it.  If not, then feel free to flatten the belly and/or widen the limbs a bit.  Either way, you should be able to make a fine bow.