Author Topic: Drill press question  (Read 3659 times)

Offline Stoker

Drill press question
« on: February 12, 2014, 04:49:21 pm »
I got a Canadain tire mastercraft 12" table top model... So I'm drilling my holes through the handle of my HBC knife I'm working on getting ready to harden.. Drill press is working fine and half way through the first hole as I'm putting a pressure on the chuck stops turning.. Motor still spinning no weird sounds.. Let up starts spinning again... Does it again.. Belt problem check it out.. Could use another no problem, go get, change... Still doing it... Chuck is lose coming out of it's taper... Hammer, block of wood, giver a coupla whacks feels tight didn't seam to move.. I grab the chuck with one hand and the pulley with the other giver a spin... Nothing... there is some kind of interior shaft in the shaft that the pulley is mounted on... Really >:( >:(
How hard is it to bang this shaft out? I figure a wooden dowel and start with the nonangry hammer first.. It's only like a $200.00 press and 10 years old But I never abused this drill still looks good.. Might of drilled couple thousand holes... Very disappointed
Any advice is welcome
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline bow101

Re: Drill press question
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 06:07:57 pm »
I have my share of stuff from C-Tire thats not worth 2 bits.  If you buy anywhere from a store go to Sears and get it on sale.
I know the name brand stuff is pricey like Makita, dewalt, Porter Cable etc... but they will out last you.. ;)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 06:11:50 pm »
Sounds like Your brushes have gone bad. check to see if there are access holes on the side of the motor(un plug it first)...should look like slotted screws. The little wire and lead things inside are the contact brushes. They wear down and need replaced occassionaly
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 07:02:51 pm »
Scour the taper with some 100 grit sandpaper. It'll give some grip. Otherwise, remove the drill bit and chuck it up into a new drill press.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 10:28:52 pm »
My wore out Chinese drill press started doing that. I cleaned the inside of the chuck and the taper real good and used Loc-tite on it. works fine now.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 10:29:28 am »
Pulled the drive apart last night.. the pulley insert that drives the splined shaft sheared off... Just had enough to make it go around... Called the 1-800 number.. No longer stock any parts for that model... Funny but not the fellow had the same problem with his press, knew what I was talking about...
Be a good project for a home machinist but that's not me.. Time to salvage parts....
Thanks Leroy

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 10:42:44 am »
If what you're talking about is square key stock, you can get that at any electric motor repair shop or place that sells fasteners like Fastenal. If it's crescent moon shaped, it's a Woodruff Key, also available at electric motor repair shops.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 11:04:34 am »
If you can't find the right key stock, I think you can, the next step is JB Weld. I had the splines wear almost completely off a treadmill drive shaft where the belt from the motor connected, lots of slipping. The splines in the metal pulley were OK so I coated the worn shaft with lots of JB weld and slid the pulley back into place on the shaft. The JB stuck to the shaft, the pulley formed new splines on the shaft and a couple of blobs of JB on the outside edge of the pulley kept it in place. No slippage and no problems with drive shaft of the treadmill since.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 11:17:48 am »
The splines are on the interior of the pulley insert.. It's about 3/4" od and 1/2" id.. Sheared off where it's milled down flat to sit on the top bearing..
 Where the pulley is keyed on the outside that's all good...
Thanks Leroy
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 11:27:56 am by Stoker »