Author Topic: Opal  (Read 1146 times)

Ahnlaashock

Opal
« on: February 14, 2014, 02:33:56 pm »
The flakes ddi not get two small patches in the center, but i was not going to run another series of flakes to get them. 
It simply will not photograph showing anywhere near the fire present.  I made about thirty attempts, and this is the best.  It shows about half the color and the flake scars are invisible.  I took a straight edge and trimmed it just a hair after the picture.
Anyway, here is a very thin opal point.

Offline Peacebow_Coos

Re: Opal
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 09:23:27 pm »
Purty  :P

Ahnlaashock

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 10:10:56 pm »
Thank you. 
My wife has already taken custody!
It was supposed to be a corner notch, but the piece is so thin I blew it up trying to notch it. 
The one I did after it is even better, but I did not finish the point.  I got it skinned and down to solid color, when someone walked by, took it from me, put it in a jar, and then into her pocket, unfinished!  Nothing I can do!  She is meaner than I am! 
I am waiting for more supplies, which are on the way. 

Offline JEB

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 12:13:42 am »
Very nice.  What country is your opal from?   I just got back from Tucson where my buddy just bought opal that came from Etheopia.  He makes necklace and ear ring sets out of them and sell them on flintknappers.com.

Ahnlaashock

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 10:52:39 am »
It is Australian, and that material is about 40 years out of the ground. 
I just ordered 4 kilos+ of opal to mostly knap, from Australia.  It is in the mail now.  I still have lots of opal, but very little of it is appropriate for knapping.