Author Topic: Finally!  (Read 5718 times)

Offline adb

Re: Finally!
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 07:44:54 am »
Fades and tips are both too stiff (especially fades). Use that tillering stick to poke your camp fire! Get rid of it! Set yourself up a tiller tree (if you haven't already) with an inline scale, like this:

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 08:08:34 am »
Tell us what you really think about a tiller stick adb, ???[all opinions] I use a tiller stick and is very useful to get one to brace,then move on to the tree.I never use one for full draw. :) Not bad for a 3rd for sure but as other have already said /stiff fads/stiff outer,to much in the middle,it will come with time and become much easier for you to see.The gismo is a great help or a short straight edge 4 to 6 inches long to run along the belly to see where it needs to bend, especially on a clean fairy straight piece of wood, just keep the gap even between belly and straight edge,or take wood off where the pencil makes are if using the Gismo,the kinky twisted stuff you almost have to do by eye. A scrapper or knife for final tillering is also very helpful to use so you don't take to much at once.  ;) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline 4dog

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 10:31:53 am »
lol...we dont ALL have accomidations for a tree...stick is fine...for now...lol
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline budgolf

• Take me to the woods!
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 11:00:03 am »
Well I built myself a gizmo last night, and I guess I'll take a knife to it. Maybe I'll use sandpaper instead.

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 11:12:03 am »
  If you fix the tiller on that bow now you will be down to about 25# when finished. If the bow shoots good I would shoot it as is and make another in the meantime. How much set did it take mid limb?

Offline adb

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 05:41:29 pm »
Tell us what you really think about a tiller stick adb, ???[all opinions] I use a tiller stick and is very useful to get one to brace,then move on to the tree.I never use one for full draw. :) Not bad for a 3rd for sure but as other have already said /stiff fads/stiff outer,to much in the middle,it will come with time and become much easier for you to see.The gismo is a great help or a short straight edge 4 to 6 inches long to run along the belly to see where it needs to bend, especially on a clean fairy straight piece of wood, just keep the gap even between belly and straight edge,or take wood off where the pencil makes are if using the Gismo,the kinky twisted stuff you almost have to do by eye. A scrapper or knife for final tillering is also very helpful to use so you don't take to much at once.  ;) :) :)
   Pappy

Hey, Pap... you could probably also use that tiller stick thingy to kill a snake if you had to!  8)

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 05:54:07 pm »
 Gizmo will show you the bend for sure...The draw back on it is you have to leave your bow in a full draw position for some time. It's good for beginning stages but is risky for braced full draw :o
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline bubby

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2014, 06:09:39 pm »
gizmo is a great tool, only takes a second or two to check your tiller with it, I use a tiller stick out to 20" that's as far as I go I usually shoot them in from there
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline VicNova

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2014, 06:26:47 pm »
Yeah I use to do that a lot. Just try making mid limb and the tips the same thickness and remove more out towards the handle till its a little thicker than mid-limb. Great bow though for your third attempt.  You will get It, I know its tough to always have your tiller shot down.   I always hated getting tillering advice  ;D

Absolutely, if you can do it, set up a tillering jig. It really helps get a great tiller?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 06:30:39 pm by Victor99 »
Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline budgolf

• Take me to the woods!
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2014, 06:34:28 pm »
Thanks for all of the help guys. I went back at it this morning, and it does look a little better, but my weight is down to about 35 pounds now so I'm going to finish it up. I shot it about 20 times today and it's not real fast, but I was also shooting an aluminum arrow so it might have been a little heavy. Either way, I'm going to put some finish on it and take the lessons learned to an new bow that I start tonight. I gotta tell you, the feeling I got from shooting a bow I made with my own hands was more than amazing. Once again, thanks for all of the help. I'll post a picture of it when it's all finished up.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2014, 06:46:48 pm »
Congratulations!
You got good advice about getting the near handle wood moving and throwing the t stick in the fire. LOL. Rope and pulleys are great.

Mark a nice heavy pencil line where you want the bending to start which is usually the end of the fades.

You can leave it strung. Take 20 or so scrapes, 20 short draws, and check tiller.

I've spent hours in that area.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2014, 06:49:30 pm »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2014, 08:42:51 am »
Glad you got a shooter,that is always a good thing, Man this is jump on tiller stick
day,snake killer/fire wood  ;) :) I have only built a few hundred and involved in a few thousand so I may need to reevaluate my way of doing things ??? and see if I can start doing it the right way, :-\ Or it may be as has been said many times,we all know how opinions are and everyone has one.  :) Believe me either technique will work just fine if use properly.  ;) :) :) :) Again congrats on a shooter and if you are like me when I started ,can't wait to start the next and see if I can apply what I learned.  ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline adb

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2014, 09:39:09 am »
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2014, 09:40:16 am »
+1 Pappy.  Tiller stick for me.  Never even had a tree till I built one last weekend.  Glad I have it now, but have built all my bows without one.  A useful tool, but it wont replace my use of the tiller stick.  Many ways to get to the finish line.  It's those danged computer circles I want to trash! :)
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.