Author Topic: fletching tape  (Read 6129 times)

Offline TRACY

Re: fletching tape
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 07:34:08 am »
I may be stealing his thunder here, but Ozzy uses it and and speaks highly of it. I've never used it. Seems a bit expensive to me, but if it works and is fast, heck maybe I'll try some if I ever run across it.
 Yeah, I've never used it but for the sake of everything taking longer to do for me now like Pat said, I'm going to order some and give it a try. Ozzy fletches a real nice arrow with the tape and without.

Tracy
That's funny bretto.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 11:55:31 am »
I've used the tape on a couple sets of arrow and it worked pretty good it's not as strong as loctite super glue which is what I usually use, the only thing is make sure the shafts are clean before fetching, any grease at all really weakens the bond.
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 09:45:35 pm »
my experience with fletch tape has been.....not so good.
i use loc-tite gel. and havent had a problem since.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline unkieford

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2014, 11:25:45 pm »
I use the heck out of it, and I LOVE the stuff. I've experienced failures only from an old, very dirty roll kicking around in the bottom of a tool box. It even stays put in my lovely (cough) Phoenix desert environment.

---Ford---

Offline Scottski

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2014, 12:43:56 am »
I use it all the time and I like it.
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Grasshopper Mouse

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2014, 01:54:40 am »
I have mixed feelings on fletch tape.
The biggest advantage I see with the tape is it's fast. There is no waiting for glue to dry.
I make and sell wood arrows and folks pay me good money for good arrows, not quickly made arrows. I use glue.
Whenever I see folks advocate fletch tape one thing they point out is how easy it is to remove feathers for repair. I don't want feathers to come off easily. I want them to hang on to that shaft and only come off in pieces and kicking and screaming the whole while.
I did use tape on the first set of bamboo arrows I made for myself some years ago. It was easier to use tape on the undulating surface of the bamboo. Those feathers wandered a bit on the shaft in hot weather. Now I have learned how to use glue with bamboo.

No single method will work for everyone and I recognize that fletch tape works great for a lot of folks. But for me I use glue, usually Duco. Duco is readily available at a lot of places, just no longer at Wallmart for $.99 a tube.

Guy

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 05:43:47 pm »
I also bought the cheap double sided tape. I had good success with regular fletching tape but it was a little expensive.
I don't use either anymore, but I found that if I put tape on the front and back of the feather, I could put them on and align them, then run some glue under the quill and tie the ends.

Of course by the time I put tape on the front and back and got everything just right i could have tied the feather on just as fast, which is what I do now.

Patrick

Offline Gaust

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2014, 01:19:21 pm »
Make sure the surfaces are clean, then use new tape.  Old tape won't work as well.  Dab of Gorilla super glue on both ends of the feather and you are done.
George