Author Topic: fletching tape  (Read 6130 times)

Offline BOWMAN53

fletching tape
« on: February 19, 2014, 01:37:53 pm »
just wanted to see what your guys thoughts on it were.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: fletching tape
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 02:42:31 pm »
I use it quite a bit. It works well on all the shaftings I've tried it on and it is easy to remove if necessary...and it is quick.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bretto

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 02:57:03 pm »
According to the Brain Giants that work in the Archery dept. at the Kansas City Cabella's fletching tape doesn't exist!! It has never been invented. Sounds like a awesome product though. :o

That being said I have used it on Carbon, Aluminum and Wood. My only grudge is I have very large hands and failing eyesight. Not a good combo for fletching tape.

It is fast and holds very well on all shafts I have used it on. If You are a person who re-fletches arrows to repair I think it would be the best product to use as far as prepping shafts if You only wanted to do one fletch or so.

bretto

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 03:09:11 pm »
It can be tedious trying to line it up with the quill and removing the backing strip...at our age!  ;) For a young buck like yourself, Jordan these problems shouldn't be a concern.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 03:34:42 pm »
then ill buy some along with feathers.

Offline Buck67

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 04:13:15 pm »
Fletching tape is very handy.  Pulling the release tape off can be a challenge though.  I find that if I cut the tape a 1/4" longer than the fletching, I can adhere the tape to the blade of a knife and that makes the release tape easier to remove.  I don't have any fancy fletching clamps so I just put the feather upside down in a piece of scrap tin held in place with two binder clamps.  Once the tape is on I can put the fletching on where I want it and it sticks immediately without having to wait for the glue to dry.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 04:47:41 pm »
I may be stealing his thunder here, but Ozzy uses it and and speaks highly of it. I've never used it. Seems a bit expensive to me, but if it works and is fast, heck maybe I'll try some if I ever run across it.

That's funny bretto.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline bow101

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 04:53:31 pm »
I bought some cheap 2 sided tape at the Dollar store and it is stickier than you know what.  I still use glue or thread on the front end just incase.  The tape is 3/8"  wide.
Fletching is not my favorite thing to do,  simply can not master it,  I do not have the fletch clamps, made one up but still having problems.    ::)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 10:25:43 pm »
I make a lot of arrows and it's all I ever use.   :)
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 10:55:59 pm »
It doesn't work here in the very dry air of Northern Arizona. Nothing does except Duco. But the Hopi like it for ceremonial arrows. But they're only dancing with them, not shooting them. That's why it works for them.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 12:33:08 am »
Can you still find Duco.? I heard it was being phased out. That's all I used to use. Back then I could get a tube of Duco for $1.96 at Wally World.

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 01:21:50 am »
You can still buy Duco. I buy it at the Dollar store, works good on river cane. Fletching tape doesn't fare well down here in the Texas heat, the fletching's stay on ok they just loose there helical and end up almost straight.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 01:44:14 am »
We sell Duco where I work, which is convenient for me.  :)
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 08:34:54 am »
Check for finish compatability. It's quick and easy but I've had problems with fletch popping off. Especially in humid weather, when the quill expands. Always put a dab of glue on the front, or wrap with  thread, for safety!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 12:45:09 pm »
I always put a wrap of the forward end of the fletching to protect my hand and sometimes on the rear so fletch tape basically holds the rest of the fletch to the shaft.