Author Topic: Tiller check please ;-)  (Read 1189 times)

Offline Stefan

Tiller check please ;-)
« on: February 22, 2014, 11:14:28 am »
Hi All,

I have been working on an ash backed massaranduba bow. It's a flatbow with pyramid shape profile.

I'm not very good at tillering bows, I use a tillering gizmo but it doesn't work real good at the fades. Does the bow need to bend more at the fades or more at the tips? I have added an oval to picture, to me it looks likes the tips need to bend more? This one looks just weird to me.

Would like to hear your opnion

Greetings Stefan

Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Tiller check please ;-)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 11:44:57 am »
The circles just don't mean much to me.  I draw a line on the belly 4-5-6 from the tips.  That last bit stays stiff, but from that line back toward the handle the arc should be consistent, just a little stiffer at the fades.  Yours looks stiff to me for more than 4-5-6 inches, but let the Gizmo tell you that.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 02:16:31 pm »
From where the oval is touching the limb out to the last 6" needs to bend more. Once you get those areas bending better go to the fades and get the inner limbs bending more.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 02:44:30 pm »
Obviously, with your design, the handle is not going to bend. You can see with your superimposed circle where it's not bending. Remove wood from the fades of both limbs.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 06:29:52 pm by adb »

Offline dwardo

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 02:59:25 pm »
If you want those circles to work for you make it more circle than oval and let the bottom of the circle disappear off the bottom of the photo. The middle of the circle with a stiff handle can be off the top of the bow.

I use this quite a bit my self when checking tiller. Helps to confirm early and mid tiller especially with no second opinion about.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 04:35:07 pm »
 I'm with Pat, those fades have to bend more. I'm OK with stiff tips, but that's just my preference.
                                                                                                                              Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;