Author Topic: bow tip backing?  (Read 4938 times)

Offline Rcdeer

• Old School..selfbows an flintlocks
bow tip backing?
« on: February 25, 2014, 04:40:47 pm »
have 54" osage  with knot on back of string nock  any idea how I could back it?  thanks! Rc
any ideas? thinkin bone..maybe?

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 04:45:47 pm by Rcdeer »
A Promise Made is a Debt Unpaid
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: bow tip backing?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 04:44:22 pm »
Just leave it be. It doesn't bend so a backing wont do much for you.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Rcdeer

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 05:02:42 pm »
I like the way you think!..I've been thinkin an thinkin how to back that,but I think it'd only make it look better,,,maybe.. seems to work as is,,,mabe leavin it is good...now, on to somethin to hang on too..riser like...it's flat an not very comfortable!
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline echatham

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 05:09:05 pm »
man that makes me nervous how its cut into the back and so thin thin... it might be fine and hopefully somebody will steer me straight on that, but it don't cut into the back for a string nock without overlays.  if that were mine id make the knot the nock.  just thin the tip past the knot and make the string loop small enough to hold onto the knot.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 05:12:58 pm »
Good eye Eric. That's no good at all and totally unsafe. Rasp it off on a downward angle and add an overlay. Horn, bone, antler, hard, hard wood.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 05:16:05 pm »
Yeah, that looks scarey!
Good eye Eric. That's no good at all and totally unsafe. Rasp it off on a downward angle and add an overlay. Horn, bone, antler, hard, hard wood.
1+

Offline Rcdeer

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 05:23:00 pm »
well, now I'm confused again.. rasp off  what?  the knot is on the back of the bow,,away from me,,so any backer would have to go over the knot anyway..bow is only 54" now..i'm not understanding whay I should do... do away with string nock?  don't seem like notching into the knot would be a good idea,,an below knot makes bow shorter yet(no idea what that does to # an draw )  appreciate the help jus lil lost..okay..lot lost..
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 05:26:59 pm »
You see that string groove filed in on the BACK of the bow in front of the knot? That's bad. On bows with no overlays you CANNOT cut a groove in the back, only the sides. You need to either put that bow up, or fix it. That means rasping on a downward angle until that groove is gone. Then glue an overlay material of your choice over that and reshape the tip.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 05:32:45 pm »
You're not looking for a "bow tip backing", but a "tip overlay". The word 'backing' is really confusing and false in this case.

Rasp that groove in the back of the bow down until you hit a flat surface/ Glue on a small tip overlay of any hard material you prefer. Make something that looks like this:

And don't touch that knot too much, altough you could take it down a little bit on the back of the bow. You over-compensated a bit.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline echatham

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 05:47:12 pm »
if it were mine this is what id do.  what i colored red would be gone.  the yellow line is a groove cut in the sides only, although you don't even need that. the knot alone can hold the string.

Offline Rcdeer

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 05:48:14 pm »
okay..I see what you're saying about the string groove in the back of the bow....that said.. I only have 3/4" from edge of knot to bow end an  bow is not very thick at all..and I'm thinking if filed, and a tip overlay added, it still won't be very strong..because an overlay won't be but 3/4" long..not sure what nocking below knot would do to draw length an poundage.. but after having 4 bows break on me  really don't need  another experience like them.. and I didn't build this,,or the others they were all new builds,,jus luck of the draw I guess.. dang,,so enjoy shooting/hunting primitive, but this getting nuts dollar wise..maybe time to take a break...thank you guys! I certainly didn't need an osage tip in my eye!  Appreciate the help!
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline echatham

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 05:50:45 pm »
well that didn't work and my drawing isnt showing .. but see that dark line running at a 45 past the knot? my side groove would be just inside that, right along the knot.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 05:57:35 pm »
but after having 4 bows break on me  really don't need  another experience like them
(...) but this getting nuts dollar wise.
There is a really simple solutions to keep your bows from breaking: make them longer!
54" is about 20 inches shorter than I recommend beginners. That's right. TWENTY INCHES! A long  bow is much more durable and a lot more difficult to break. Just because you found a few osage bows of 54" and 56" doesn't mean that this length is a good place to start for a beginner.
"Dollar wise"? So you spent all your money on the purchase of these osage stave(s)? There's many cheaper options! Cut the wood yourself. Or go to Lowe's / Home Depot and buy an oak board. That's a much cheaper option and can yield a (hunting weight) bow that shoots perfectly.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Rcdeer

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 06:09:07 pm »
well this is the shortest bow,,,all the rest were 70"-72"  3 different builders,  maple or hickory, an one was a holmegaard, just happen to get ones with a bad piece of wood..some lasted a week one almost a year,,draw were all for 28"...  I'm 27"+ so not overdraw not left strung not stored wrong, abused, misused or not taken care of.. and again, I'd didn't build them..I jus wanted a good bow that I could shoot at rendezvous and hunt with and I don't have much money  to purchase or the patience to build..this bow, the osage, was a quick, affordable,internet  purchase so I could get to a vous..jus trying to get one that'll work..
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline Rcdeer

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 06:12:46 pm »
 echatham, the yellow came thru on my post.. I see what your saying.either yellow line you drew or dark line on bow  jus sides if necessary...try jus knot first...?

will this effect draw  or brace or poundage?  thanks! 
..Upstate N.Y.