Author Topic: Merlin  (Read 1173 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Merlin
« on: March 05, 2014, 03:50:19 pm »
Had the pleasure of going on a merlin hunt last weekend.  This video hardly captures how incredible this little bird is!

Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Merlin
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 06:19:12 pm »
Love it!  But of course I would, duh!?!?!

I flat laughed my butt off at the 170 lb humans running themselves ragged trying to flush  2 oz. game for the 7 oz. bird! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Don Case

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 06:52:08 pm »
I could watch that all day. Is the radio transmitter instead of bells? We usually have Merlins nesting within earshot of my house. One of my pleasures is the first Merlin cry in spring.

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 06:54:48 pm »
I love Merlins. Very cool little birds and very fierce hunters. We have a pair nesting every year in our back alley. You can hear them calling all summer. When they call, the robins have a fit.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 07:00:00 pm »
Hummingbirds have been known to select nesting sites CLOSE to merlin and sharpshinned hawk nests.  Hummers are too small and fast to catch, but the larger predators also keep nest robbing species scared off!

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 11:28:49 pm »
Thanks for watching guys!  Y'all that have them around are so lucky!  All I have is red shoulder hawks that are always screaming about something and the occasional red tail and a few barred owls here and there.  I guess I'm happy with them though.

The radio transmitter is in case the little bird decides it wants to run off and hunt on its own.  Bells aren't really necessary on such an open area.  At least that's what I gathered.   I could totally be wrong though.  JW might know more about that.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 11:41:57 pm »
Bells help find the bird if you are close, but they don't do a lot of good with a bird that is out of earshot in a split second.  You did see how fast that jalapeno bottle rocket flew, right???

Was a time only recently that transmitters couldn't be fitted to a bird that size because the transmitter weighed too much for the bird to get off the ground!!!  These new outfits are downright amazing, some even uplink to satellites every so often to allow people to log their migration across continents!

Don Case

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 11:48:29 pm »
That's what I thought. When I was involved umty-ump years ago bells were all there was. If the bird flew out of ear-shot that was about it. A little GPS unit would be awesome.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 11:50:21 pm »
They come with smart phone apps now!  Now that is playing a serious game of Angry Birds!