Author Topic: Serviceberry Self bow  (Read 6894 times)

Offline kleinpm

Serviceberry Self bow
« on: March 11, 2014, 11:59:13 am »
This bow is from some local Serviceberry about 2 1/4 inches in diameter I cut along the Yellowstone River. It was a challenge to say the least and required 9 sessions of heating to get reasonable straight. Eventually it just didn't seem to want to be corrected anymore so I went with what i had.

60" ntn and 57 lbs/27 inches. Limbs are 1 3/8" until they narrow to 1/2" nocks. Nocks are built up leather wrapped in thread and soaked in super glue and the handle is rattan with an antelope hoof arrow rest.

I have shot about 500 arrows through it and the lower limb as taken about 1/2" of set. Its hard to tell with the upper limb because of the natural reflex/kink/hinge area.

Patrick

Offline Josh B

Re: Serviceberry Self bow
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 12:05:00 pm »
It looks to me like it needs just a smidgeon more bend in the outer half of the upper limb.  I think you got that deflex bit about right though.  Those are tricky to tiller like that.  Nice work!  Josh

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 12:29:43 pm »
It looks to me like it needs just a smidgeon more bend in the outer half of the upper limb.  I think you got that deflex bit about right though.  Those are tricky to tiller like that.  Nice work!  Josh

I concur w Josh. Either way, you got a winner Patrick.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 12:33:11 pm »
I think you guys are correct, but I think I am going to leave it. It shoots fine as is.

The top 1/3 of the top limb had some seriously stubborn reflex. I managed to heat most of it out, but between that and the deflex above the handle that limb kept playing with my mind.  :o

Patrick

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 12:33:31 pm »
first, that's one badass pic of you infront of the mountain!   8)  Love the bow man, really looks good.  I got to get around to doign one of those someday.  hey let me ask about the 500 shot shooting in.  Was that largely for fun or are you monitoring the bow throught that?  At this point I just take a bow out for a shooting session and if it doesn't blow up I"m happy.  ;)  Great job again!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 12:35:33 pm »
If you get a chance please post a close up of those tips.  I have not seen that technique.  thanks!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 12:38:46 pm »
first, that's one badass pic of you infront of the mountain!   8)  Love the bow man, really looks good.  I got to get around to doign one of those someday.  hey let me ask about the 500 shot shooting in.  Was that largely for fun or are you monitoring the bow throught that?  At this point I just take a bow out for a shooting session and if it doesn't blow up I"m happy.  ;)  Great job again!

When I first start shooting it I shoot a few arrows and look for anything that might cause problems like a changing tiller or chrysals, unusual set etc. I do that for about 100 arrows. Then I shoot it a lot and give it another once over. Most of the time if something is wrong it shows up fairly quickly so if I get to about 100 arrows I stop paying as much attention an assume its a shooter.

Patrick

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 02:19:46 pm »
Nice work on that tricky stave, that bow looks great to me. I'd say get a few more pics and put that baby in for BOM. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 07:31:27 pm »
Nice!!!
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 08:01:01 pm »
Nice job tackling that snake!

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 10:05:25 pm »
Very cool bow man.  I like the handle wrap.  Great job

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 10:32:03 pm »
Looks very nice!  Good job on a not so easy one to tiller.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 01:56:27 am »
I like it!  I especially like the natural color.  Well done.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 05:34:56 am »
Nice bow on a challenging stave.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline nazghul

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 06:30:31 am »
looks really great...!