Author Topic: Need BBQ marinade recipe  (Read 5481 times)

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
Re: Need BBQ marinade recipe
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2014, 10:16:43 pm »
I dunno, cole slaw on a BBQ sandwich just sounds un-American to me.  :)
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2014, 10:41:59 pm »
It can go either way, it's fine. Agree to disagree and don't yuck someone elses yum, and all that stuff.

I think it sounds like it would make a reall gooder burger to have the slaw on in one of them stuffed fry breads. wish I woulda got some slaw tonight. Got me a boston butt at the butcher this eve. Got a welding contest tomorrow all day then slow PORK sunday gooders!!  ;D ;D ;) dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 10:43:41 pm »
Gooders, DPG!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 11:33:22 pm »

I never cared for the cole slaw "ON" the bar b q sandwich, on the side, is fine, but not on the sandwich.

Wayne

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2014, 01:06:10 am »
I like a BBQ sandwich with and without coleslaw. Got to be SC or GA vinegar style BBQ though.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2014, 03:56:10 pm »
I like a BBQ sandwich with and without coleslaw. Got to be SC or GA vinegar style BBQ though.

Pat, is there a difference tween NC and SC/GA sauce? Rather than bein from further South? Just wonderin, I'm only familiar w/ the Northern Carolina sauce. dp

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2014, 04:58:10 pm »
Some are tomato based, some are mustard based and some are basically just vinegar with herbs and spices.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tom Kurth

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2014, 06:07:44 pm »
This is (supposedly) an Arkansas BBQ sauce. I got it from a Missouri Conservationist TV show years ago. It's good as a marinade and baste for thick pork chops and even better for chicken breast halves. Too salty for basting long cooking items like ribs--flavor is good but the salt builds up. Large recipe--I make it a gallon+ at a time but I include splits here. Save the Red wine bottles to re-use for basting if they have the shaker style lid.

1 qt.     1 c.       1/2.                ketchup
2 qt.     2 c.       1 c.                 water
1.5 c.    1/2 c.    1/4 c.             Worcestershire sauce
1.5 c.    1/2 c.    1/4 c.             prepared mustard
2 c.       1/2 c.    1/4 c.             brown sugar
1.25 c.   3/8 c.    scant 1/4 c.    salt
1/2 c.    2 T.       1 T.                cracked black pepper
3 qt.      3 c.       1.5 c.              red wine vinegar
1 qt.      1 c.       1/2 c.              white vinegar
1/4 c.     1 T.      1/2 T.              red pepper flakes (optional--more or less to taste)

Combine all ingredients, bring just to a boil stirring until salt and sugar are dissolved. Cool, bottle, refrigerate. Lasts indefinitely. To use, marinate meat in plastic bag not longer that four hours refrigerated. Sear over direct heat, remove to indirect heat until done according to meat thermometer, about 30 minutes for a 1.5" boneless pork chop; 60-75 minutes for bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts, baste every ten minutes. Good luck.
Best,
Tom

Escape to Missouri

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2014, 09:32:58 pm »
Boston butt slow roasted in the oven after a rub down. Made vinegar based sauce and ketchup based sauce for the kids. Decided to have fry bread again for dessert w/ fresh maple syrup this time and I did make a gooder burger, one w/ vinegar base sauce meat w/ ketchup base on top and one just ketchup based and meat for lunch tomorrow. Tasty, but not do die for. The fry bread and maple syrup were altogether a different story though.  ;D ;D ;) dpg

Never did pick up any slaw. Only pealed carrot for veggie tonight.