Author Topic: Need BBQ marinade recipe  (Read 5484 times)

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
Need BBQ marinade recipe
« on: March 13, 2014, 03:41:22 pm »
Hey y'all, I'm looking for a good vinegar-based BBQ marinade recipe for marinating pork butt. I always used Wicker's since I have kin in the Mizzoura Bootheel and around Tennessee. I don't especially warm up to BBQ with tons of sweet syrupy sauce slathered all over it, because I want real Southern BBQ where it's all in the marinade. I could order Wicker's online, but shoot, if I can make it myself, I'd rather. Anyone got a good recipe?
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Need BBQ marinade recipe
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 04:38:41 pm »
A dry rub is the best and easy to do. I use salt, black and white pepper, brown sugar, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, dry mustard and sometimes other stuff. Mix it all together, rub it on the meat liberally, cover with plastic wrap and let it sit in the frig for 24 hours before putting it on the cooker.
 I'll do this with a Boston Butt then put it in a glass baking pan with carrots, onions, celery, bell peppers and a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, seal with aluminum foil and into a 25deg to 300deg oven for 5 to 6 hour. I have also slow cook it without the veg and beer. Once cooled just pull it apart, add the BBQ sauce you like and chow down.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 04:47:32 pm »
A dry rub is the best and easy to do. I use salt, black and white pepper, brown sugar, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, dry mustard and sometimes other stuff. Mix it all together, rub it on the meat liberally, cover with plastic wrap and let it sit in the frig for 24 hours before putting it on the cooker.
 I'll do this with a Boston Butt then put it in a glass baking pan with carrots, onions, celery, bell peppers and a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, seal with aluminum foil and into a 25deg to 300deg oven for 5 to 6 hour. I have also slow cook it without the veg and beer. Once cooled just pull it apart, add the BBQ sauce you like and chow down.

What time's supper?

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 05:29:24 pm »
I'm like pat with a dry rub, I make up a bunch and use it till it's gone, lot's of BBQ weather out here, put it in the smoker all day about 225, mop it with apple juice and vinegar to help keep it moist, then I make a sauce with catsup, molasses, honey a little jalapeno pepper jelly and some of my wife's peach/mango jam warm it till it mixes well and make plenty cause it will disappear ;)
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 06:13:15 pm »
DAMN!!!! NOW I NEED TO GO HOME AND BBQ! THANKS GUYS!!!!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 08:02:53 pm »
Mojo Criollo for me. Sour orange, garlic, red pepper, onion and salt.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 08:21:24 pm »
Being a man, I naturally love anything cooked that involves fire and or smoke.  I cannot turn down any barbecue, whether it's Arthur Bryants and the Kansas City style, or the dry rubbed and slow grilled Texas style.  I have YET to try the Carolina bbq style that is vinegar based.  There is no debate, I will like it, but I an't got there yet!

Come on, somebody got a family recipe they will share, right?  Carolinians ain't shy are they?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 11:57:51 pm »

You can use this as a dry rub, or as a marinade.  Get McCormicks bar B Que seasoning, and McCormicks Smokehouse maple.  McCormicks original chicken seasoning, (basically a Cajun seasoning), Garlic powder, about table spoonful or so, and about 3/4 tablespoonful of onion powder.  Also about a table spoon of dried onion flakes.  Mix this together, about fifty fifty Bar B Q seasoning, and Smokehouse Maple seasoning, and a dash or two or three, of the chicken seasoning, and the onion flakes,  mix it all together, and rub it into the meat, and let it stand in the refrigerator over night preferably, or for about four hours, if making it that day.  You can use that same mix, and add white vinegar to it, and about 1/2-1 cup of ketchup.  I do all this by taste, the measurements are all guesses to what I use.   So you can add, or subtract, by taste.   That is the bar b q recipe marinade, if you want a good tasting non  typical bar b q use Eddie's recipe.  It is good also.  I have eaten it before, and would not hesitate to do so again. ;D ;D
                                                                                Wayne

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 02:07:05 am »
3 cups Apple Vinegar
 2 Tbs Curry Powder(yellow)
Concentrated Orange juice(about 2 cups, give or take)
Dash Cumin(about 1/2 Tsp)
Tsp black pepper
dash dried onion(or more depending on your taste).
Sliced apples
Mix all and let soak over night. If you want a crisper outer, add 1/2 cup brown sugar....Baste with marinade as pork cooks. Slow roast is better with this recipe...
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 12:45:14 pm »
I have traveled into North Carolina many times and found their style of BBQ, the vinegar base stuff, the finest I have yet to eat. Don't get me wrong, I'll eat the dry rub and the sweet stuff and enjoy every bite, but my all time fav is NC vinegar BBQ on pulled smoked pork. mmm mmm, I may have to stop by the butcher on the way home for a pork butt for the weekend. Thanks for the idea! Maybe even make me a gooder fry bread bbq sandwich!! :o dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 12:58:48 pm »
. Slow roast is better with this recipe...

Other than steaks on the grill, slow roast is always the way to go!

That recipe sounds great, Mohawk.  Will definitely be trying that one.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 05:03:56 pm »
Just got the poor man's North Carolina BBQ lowdown from a Buddy.

1/2 white vinegar
1/2 apple cider vinegar
squirt of yellow mustard
ground red pepper to taste; could be a mix of peppers, hot or mild, paprika or bolder, what ever you like.

Simple yet De-lish. Hope to get some pork this evening for sunday bbq. If all works out I will poast a pic.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 05:43:57 pm »
that is basically my mop just fancier vinegar/apple juice or cider/ hot sauce that's all ya need brother

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 06:27:20 pm »
OUTSTANDING!!!! My wife is from back there and I can't embarrass myself since I always "cheated" and used Wickers. We still ain't settled the debate over if cole slaw goes on a pulled pork sandwich or not, but her cole slaw is the only I ever liked. She has reluctantly admitted I make pretty good greens, though.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 07:24:09 pm »
it goes ON the pulled pork sandwich Dharma, bub