Author Topic: Despite all your faults  (Read 10543 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Despite all your faults
« on: March 16, 2014, 12:09:30 pm »
This is from a buckthorm stave Cody gave me at pappys last year. I got to the pile a few days too late... :o I was eyeballing it wondering where and how I was going to get it fairly symmetrical and even. As I stared I noticed it would line up at the handle as is. So I said heck with it and left it completely as split by Cody, including the stubby stick poking out the upper limb. I added Ipe tips as the sapwood is quite soft on buckthorn. That's it! Its 63" long and pulls 51-53# @ 27". Believe it or not, it shoots pretty hard and feels "normal" in my bow hand and draw hand. I wouldn't know one limb was R/D and the other D. Im guessing it took about 1.5" set max. But its hard to say for sure due to the wonky shape. I built this bow yesterday for the most part. I used super glue for the overlays and finished it with two coats of shellac and three coats of paste wax. Good enough for a summer plinker, I wont hunt with it.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 12:14:36 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Despite all your faults
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 12:10:38 pm »
More

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 12:11:53 pm »
More

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 12:15:15 pm »
There ya go again Chris. Making me feel bad about my bows. Someday I'll learn to polish my turds.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 12:19:09 pm »
Nice natural stick Pearly.  Looks like a pencil sticking out of the limb.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Jesse

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 12:35:59 pm »
That's awesome.  Especially for doing it in a day. 
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 12:50:27 pm »
That's a pretty cool bow there pearly.  I like the little stick you left.  Looks like a sweet stumper :)

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 01:05:53 pm »
cool beans drummer boy
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 01:09:57 pm »
You can hang your hat on that one for sure.  ;)  Nice bow Pearlie.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 01:11:33 pm »
Real nice plinker Chris, gotta love that buckthorn. Built in a day for the most part huh, you make me sick man. >:D
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 01:20:40 pm »
Thanks fellers! I glued the tips and half shaped them Friday night while DQ was over working his "gluey". Then I finished floor tillering, tillering and sealing Saturday morning/afternoon. Buckthorn is tied dead even with yew in my prettiest self bow wood categories. It just lights right up on its own after a good steel woolin', and the fleshy heartwood is flat gorgeous. Id like to get a stick suitable to make a skin backed static......Mmmmmmmm.....yummy.

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 01:38:45 pm »
That's a really nice character stick Mr Drums! Well done. You should go grouse hunting with it, you'll have somewhere to hang the dead ones on the way home!

Offline Roy

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 01:59:20 pm »
Pretty nice, Chris..

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 02:09:14 pm »
Dude, looks like you didnt miss anything by getting over to that buckthorn pile a day late.  Nicely done.  8)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 02:33:46 pm »
Nice