Author Topic: I've fallen for her Twisted Sister!  (Read 12012 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
I've fallen for her Twisted Sister!
« on: March 21, 2014, 05:40:24 pm »
This is the second of 2 bows I made from the stave on the "Old Wormy Osage" post.  I decided to do the two sister bows as opposites of each other.  The first was a 66" bendy handle.  I did this one as a "Blackhawk" inspired "Holmie-ish" style bow.  Really liked working with this stave in an odd, I hate you kind of way.  Very dense piece of Sage with a deep dark reddish color to it.  As pretty a piece of wood as I've seen in a while.  But not a very user friendly piece of wood at all.  Twists and turns and kinks galore.  A lot of heat straightening on this one, but the biggest problem was the snakey curve on the bottom limb.  It not only curved left to right, but it was banked at about 30 percent or so, and only thru the curve for about 4 or 5 inches, so a lot of torque was applied in a small area to get it close to level again.  The belly began to split open at one point, but I was still thick, so I sanded out the split and left it.  It's much better but it made tillering it really difficult.  In the full draw pic you can see the twist.  I'm happy with the tiller, and I think it's pretty close to right, but it does appear off in different ways from different angles.  I also missed my target weight on it by a few pounds because of it.  After all the carping I've done on here about that issue, I think it was the bow gods taking me down a notch or two.  Anyway, very pleasant sweet shooter.  I heated in 6 inches of reflex and it holds about 4 1/2 inches of that at rest.  It pulls about 43 lbs at 28 inches, and with the recurves and lower weight you can shoot it all day and never break a sweat.  Lastly, I want to say thanks to PEARL DRUMS for sending me the build along on the Strunk Handle Wrap.  It's my first attempt at it, but I think it turned out ok.  Thanks for looking and any and all comments welcome!

Osage
68 inhes ttt
8 inch stiff handle with a semi cut in shelf
1 3/8" wide with a slight taper to the levers.
3/8" at the nock
10 inch levers
43lbs at 28 inches
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 06:01:10 pm by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: I've fallen for her Twisted Sister!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 05:42:57 pm »
Few more.

Offline autologus

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 05:47:35 pm »
Wow, that thing is one major beauty.  She is gorgeous.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 05:51:35 pm »
That's sweet slim....love the unbraced,braced,and bent over profiles....looks smoooooooooth to pull n shoot!!! ;) should have some decent cast as well even at that weight..good job  :)

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 05:52:01 pm »
Wow that thing is soooo nice Slim.  I love the profile shots very nice indeed.  Great job

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 05:52:35 pm »
now that's one nice pair of kinky sisters.
very nice work.
Kevin

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 05:55:38 pm »
I think ya nailed that one
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 05:55:59 pm »
Blackhawk.  I've been shooting it with lite arrows and I believe it's every bit as fast as some of my heavier bows.  Glad you checked in, and thanks!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 10:57:07 am by SLIMBOB »

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 06:28:35 pm »
thats a beauty.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 06:30:10 pm »
Only thing better than Twisted Sister is Twisted Twins!  ;D  >:D  Very cool bow, Bob.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 06:42:08 pm »
Homerun Slim!!!  Every thing about that bow is perfect, that sucker is sweet.    ..... and no pink handle wrap either. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 07:00:13 pm »
Slim! Beautiful red Osage and the leather and wrap colors on the limbs you chose really set it off. That's some lovely looking character and gorgeous work you done...You said the bow gods took you down a notch? I don't think so buddy, not even. My hat's off to ya...
                                                                                              Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 07:28:34 pm »
Nice bow! Excellent all around. You nailed that Strunk handle wrap too. Do you have any trouble with that style of wrap working loose?

Offline DuBois

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 07:37:24 pm »
2 very hot chicks ya got there Slim.
And twisted to boot....yeeee haaaaa

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 07:39:30 pm »
A real beauty, she's got some major bends too!
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.