Author Topic: tuning bamboo  (Read 6247 times)

Offline ozy clint

tuning bamboo
« on: March 23, 2014, 02:51:13 am »
i'm making my 1st bamboo arrows and i'm wanting to know is it best to tune by trimming the front or the back of the arrow. i'd like to kept the haft of the point just in front of a node for strength but this will mean trimming the back of the shaft and cutting a new self nock and refletching each time and that doesn't make sense. lots of work! especially since i'll be tuning each arrow individually. is it ok to haft a point on bamboo in the internode region?

Offline TRACY

Re: tuning bamboo
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 09:36:01 am »
Not sure about tuning. Having a node in front of the nock and behind the point is a good idea but will work otherwise. Just reinforce with sinew wraps to prevent the shaft from splitting on both ends. Are you thinking the arrows will need restraightened after use? I don't have any problems with my cane arrows losing straightness once they're straightened and sealed. Bamboo or cane arrows aren't going to wear down and need redone. Good luck!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 09:41:52 am »
What Tracy said. I never consider a node when making cane arrows. A sinew wrap behind the point and in front of the nock will keep it safe.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline snapper1d

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 11:15:18 am »
Ozy,If you bare shaft tune you wont need to refletch every time you trim from the back.Just cut and renock it till it flies right for you then fletch it.Oh and tune till just a tiny bit weak because the fletchings will stiffen the spine a little.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 07:50:49 pm »
I spined my first cane arrows on this last batch per tenbrook's tomato stake build along above.  I picked a real fine shooting cane arrow from my quiver and hung the two lb. weight from it while it was propped up on two nails 26" apart and made a mark.  Then I set about checking the spine on the arrows I was building. I had cut them a little long and moved them back and forth on the nails till I could match the mark from my good arrow. Sometimes I had to cut from the fat end and sometimes I had to cut from the skinny end.  This step has lead me into a batch of better grouping arrows.  I used to think that bamboo/cane arrows didn't need all that,  but I have changed my mind.  This set shoots straighter and is more consistent from arrow to arrow.  I don't worry about where the nodes are either.  I cut them to length and wrap behind the self nocks and points with thread and clear nail polish.  I have had very few problems with nocks or points being damaged with cane arrows.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 07:57:37 pm »
This is good info, keep it coming. I too am fixing to start my first batch of arrows from garden stake bamboo.
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 12:37:08 am »
I've been keepin a node just in from the knock and not worrying about the front. No dura ability issues whatsoever and I beat the crap out of my arrows.
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline snapper1d

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 11:35:57 pm »
hrhodes I like that way also.I made up a makeshift spine tester with no numbers or anything.For each bow I have I made an arrow the shoots absolutely perfect bareshaft and then put it on the tester and mark it down.Then every time I make a few arrows I know exactly where to go to with them.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 11:31:48 pm »
Yeah, I used to never bother with it and just made a bunch of mediocre arrows till I came up with some that flew pretty good - I have lots of cane...  I realized that cane arrows last a long time.  If you make a bunch of crappy arrows, you are stuck with them!  These days, I have taken some of the good advice offered on this site, and taken more time with my arrows and they have gotten a lot more consistent.  The spine check is a good place to start.  I cut the cane to length right after the spine checking routine and also mark the stiff side of the arrow at that time.  I cut my self nocks right after.  I have gone back to mostly three fletch arrows also.  Having that cock feather to guide me into proper orientation of arrow to bow works better for me.  I have also quit sanding the nodes.  PatB's tip on heat compression worked well for me.  I have a foot long section of steel rail that I heat up a little with the propane torch.  I compress the cane nodes between a little steel bar and that hot rail by putting some pressure on them and rolling them back and forth.  It doesn't have to be real hot and the steel rail stays hot long enough to do a bunch of cane arrows.  This method keeps me from picking up the heat gun again and again.   The nodes just go away under compression.  Pretty cool - thanks PatB!  I think it makes a stronger arrow, since you aren't removing material during sanding.  Cane was put on this earth to be an arrow.  They hit where you are looking and won't hardly wear out.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 09:19:41 am »
I am soooo glad to here that some folks are checking spine on cane arrows...It does make a difference in grouping and flight. I have a set of brass rollers on the end of my spine machine that allows me to roll the shaft back and forth to find my cut off points and the stiff or weak side, what ever your preference. I absolutely hate to take the time to build any arrow wondering whether it will fly properly, doesn't make sense to me.
                                        Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Zuma

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 09:23:46 pm »
Thank you all for putting together one fine thread.
Such good sincere information.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

mikekeswick

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 02:25:44 pm »
Spine absolutely matters! Cane, wood or whatever you are shooting  :)
The next thing to look at for tighter groups is point of balance.  >:D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 07:26:19 pm »
Ive found with cane and boo that you can pretty much bet shafts of equal diameter shoot the same. I have no spine tester and make dandy cane/boo arrows that fly dandy with blades or field tips. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

mikekeswick

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 02:29:09 am »
Guess we are going to have agree to disagree again.... >:D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 07:26:53 am »
Im not disagreeing Mike, just giving my experience. Ive made well in excess of 2000 arrows and never used a tester of any sorts, beyond my hands spaced 26" apart. Ive also sent them around to several pretty good shots with great feedback. I hunt and that's all I do with my gear and the only reason I build anything. If I didn't have great accuracy and flight I surely wouldn't hunt with them and I surely wouldn't have a full freezer every year for the last 26 and counting! I also think experience counts for something in our craft. Albeit bowyery or arrow smithing.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.