Author Topic: Best Board Bow Wood?  (Read 9401 times)

Offline BrokenArrow

Best Board Bow Wood?
« on: March 28, 2014, 05:48:47 pm »
I have made about 10 or so board bows. I have backed them all with hickory except for a cherry and a black walnut which I backed with maple. I have used as core woods hickory, jatoba, purpleheart, canary wood and honduran Rosewood (this is a really bad bow wood).
My experience is hands down the black walnut is the lightest and the fastest which really surprised me??
What is your experience with board bow woods as core wood?

Offline ohma2

Re: Best Board Bow Wood?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 05:56:58 pm »
I agree with maple and black walnut , surprising combo.ive. not used them before but Ive got some yellow and greenheart that id like to make up with a maple back.

Offline BrokenArrow

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 06:00:12 pm »
I've found that maple backing works good on woods with SG below.60 and hickory above .60

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 06:05:20 pm »
Elm will take a lot of abuse before fretting,especially if it's heat treated before glue up.the trick is make the core light enough as to not remove to much of the hardened belly while tillering.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 06:23:46 pm »
I have made a boatload of board bows with different woods and for a selfbow it has to be hard maple, it's fast, takes little set and it makes a better backer than hickory as far as i'm concerned
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 06:26:20 pm »
Looked up some woods on the chart,  these ratings are MSS (maximum shear sttength)
Seems like Hickory out performs the rest but all is good.  Don't know what Osage is, its not on the chart.
Taken all things into consideration like MC and grain, if a bow wants to break it will break.

White oak  ~ 2000
Hickory      ~ 2430
Maple         ~  2330
Ash            ~  1950
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 06:38:22 pm »
  For self bows my vote is maple, for lam bows and cheap woods I like cherry as a belly wood with most any decent backing. I like ash a lot if I can find some of the denser stuff for backings and belly wood.

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 07:14:16 pm »
I have made a boatload of board bows with different woods and for a selfbow it has to be hard maple, it's fast, takes little set and it makes a better backer than hickory as far as i'm concerned

+1

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 09:18:18 pm »
I wish I could find some good quality maple, the stuff I got takes lots of set. Maybe it just isn't dried all the way or something. I would look for some hickory, if you can find straight grain. I think it has a lot going for it as a board bow, like being cheap and good quality bow wood. Red oak is still fun, works, and is everywhere basically? Definitely not the best wood though.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 10:06:40 pm »
Tmk it sounds like you are getting soft maple, there is a big differance
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 12:37:07 am »
I've made lots of bows from red oak.No idea how many. I've used ash, hickory and maple too.  Hickory is a good one. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 02:57:08 am »
I vote for Hickory. Made a board bow from a $7.00 2x4 and will be traveling to many areas of the States and World this year with it..Great bow, even with a bit of set.
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

mikekeswick

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 03:51:36 am »
I don't think there is a 'best board bow wood' its more to do with choosing the right combinations and then the right design for that combination.

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 12:56:03 pm »
Very true.

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 05:04:04 pm »
I have yet to see woods other than red oak or poplar in board form in our all-in-one stores around here.  Of those, so far I prefer red oak.  I've made several good, and a few less-than-good, bows from it.  The less-than-good ones were my fault a while back.  I'd love to find a real lumber yard with assorted other woods in it, but no luck yet.  Fortunately, I have looooooooooooots of ERC, elm, hackberry, oaks, cherry, hickory, and persimmon handy here on the place. 
I'd be really happy to find clean, long, ERC heartwood bows that I could back, but that may be a pipe dream.  So far, all the ERCs have had to come via stave.  Which is fine; just slow and labor intensive.  Really pretty though.