Author Topic: Thumb ring  (Read 9031 times)

Offline kleinpm

Thumb ring
« on: April 01, 2014, 11:41:38 am »
I hunt almost exclusively solo in grizzly country. I noticed last year (in one terrifying encounter, with a cow that looked like a bear for a few seconds) that my three finger shooting glove limits my dexterity enough that I can't access and deploy my bear spray without removing it. Since seconds matter if I need to actually use it I started experimenting with pinch grips. I have fair success with an unassisted pinch grip up to about 35 pounds, but I can't get used to assisted pinch grips with higher weight bows. Daily practice for about six weeks and I am only marginally less awkward.

I am thinking about trying a thumb ring. Any thoughts, opinions, or experiences using these NOT on asiatic composite bows with the arrow on the "wrong" side of the bow.

Patrick

Offline Ringeck85

Re: Thumb ring
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 12:36:45 pm »
As far as I know you can use a thumb ring with any bow, but you do need the arrow on the same side as your draw hand (if your bow hand is your left hand, then the arrow should be on the Right of the bow handle, with your right thumb drawing it) due to the mechanics involved in the release.  It'll probably take some getting used to if you've only done three-finger up until now.
"It is how we choose what we do, and how we approach it, that determines whether the sum of our days adds up to a formless blur, or to something resembling a work of art."
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

(Ren', in Wytheville, VA)

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 03:24:19 pm »
I tried a thumb ring the other day having never used one before... I completely missed a 4 foot diameter target from 15 feet away and came to within inches of shooting one of my wife's chickens. She took away my thumb ring and forbade me from ever using the blessed thing!

Try using a shooting tab instead of a shooting glove, you'll get a little quicker release if it's the kind with hair, and all you have to do is let it lay against your palm and you can easliy grab your .44 magnum, or whatever you use for bear repellant.
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline TimBo

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 04:03:16 pm »
If you google "archer's thumb ring" there is a good article on this topic.  It would increase your draw length, which might be a negative, especially for self bows.  (Good excuse to make some new bows though!)  It is an interesting style for sure.  One of these days I am going to give it a good try...watch out, chickens! 

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 04:28:46 pm »
you could always learn to shoot bare handed
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 05:27:49 pm »
have you seen those rubber things that you slide down the string,  so that you dont need a glove or tab?  I have never used one  and dont know  where  to get them, but I have seen other archers use them  and you can shoot comfortably without a glove...they look cheap to buy but hard to put on the string
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 05:38:22 pm »
you could always learn to shoot bare handed

I think this is probably a good option. I plan to use a sinew string for most of my hunting this year and they are not quite as painful bare fingered.  I keep hoping that one form of pinch grip is going to click for me but it doesn't seem like its going to.

Wooden Spring,
I completely overlooked a shooting tab. I might give that a try. I love my glove but I don't like the loss of dexterity that comes with it.

Patrick

Offline swimbill

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 05:39:49 pm »
The rubber things are called no glove finger savers.  They are cheap and really easy to put on if you let them soften in hot water for a couple of minutes.  I use them with all my student bows.  Much easier than messing around with gloves or tabs.
Swimbill

Offline Traxx

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 12:39:26 am »
but you do need the arrow on the same side as your draw hand (if your bow hand is your left hand, then the arrow should be on the Right of the bow handle, with your right thumb drawing it) due to the mechanics involved in the release.

I hafta disagree.I was under the same impresion about that as well,untill  i saw a vid of Mongolian elders doing the opposite.I tried it and fiddled around with it and can shoot the same way.I use my middle finger to hold the thumb.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 02:22:53 am »
I prefer tabs over gloves because of the dexterity thing. Once you get used to wearing a well fitting tab, you forget it is even there. 

I have a crude horn thumb ring that I have only used to draw back a few bows, but havent shaped it up enough yet to try actually loosing arrows yet. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 10:09:19 am »
The main thing with a thumb ring is a completely different way of aiming. As mentioned before the impact point is way different if you just aim the same as when using a finger release.
If you make yourself a thumb ring then the first will likely be junk, the second mildly better....after a few you will be getting there  ;)

Offline Marks

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 10:41:22 am »
I use the no glovs on my bowfishing #%^pound bow. I can shoot 30-40lbs all night without conditioning my fingers with no ill effects. Not primitive but it works.

Offline reminniear

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 02:16:18 pm »
I am new archery and bow making.  After an evening of working on a bow with hand tools, my fingers hurt for days afterwards so I decided to give a thumbring a shot.  I made one from a piece of water buffalo horn that I found at a pet store for less than $10 bucks.

I am shooting off the knucle of an osage bow that I made.  ( Thanks to everyone at the West Bottoms Bowyers!) 
I can't say I'm a great shot, but I am getting better.  I'm hoping to get a copy of "Kay's Thumbring Book", I hear it is good resource for using a thumbring.

I like my thumbring and am looking forward to trying Traxx's suggestion of using the middle finger to lock the thumb.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 02:40:21 pm »
Ive shot a tab forever, I use black stretch band for attachment and I can just brush my leg and turn ibt around onto the back of my hand in a second. I got to hand it to someone who bowhunts in griz country would take some getting used to.a cougar was filmed just across the road from where I bowhunt and I have been looking over my shoulder ever since.you can also tripple serve your string where your fingers sit on it.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 02:28:55 pm »
The main thing with a thumb ring is a completely different way of aiming. As mentioned before the impact point is way different if you just aim the same as when using a finger release.

once again,at the expense of sounding argumentative,i disagree.I think the mistake that most make is,they assume,that when the thumbring is used,the asiatic style is used as well.

I truly believe,based on personal research,that a thumb style hold and release was more widely used than previously believed,by American native people.I believe it was used in a more shorter draw style that had the same aiming,or lack of aiming style,much like many use today.I personally,can be fairly accurate,with this style,out to 40 yards,so far.I played with it here n there over the years,but recently started giving it serious consideration.