Author Topic: still no successful Bows  (Read 5102 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: still no successful Bows
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2014, 11:29:32 pm »
The key is the straight grain. Could I see a picture of your board stave? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Bogaman

• steve white
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2014, 11:53:51 pm »
Cpl, I've made a lot of bows, but never a board bow. So, if when you get that board bow finished you'll have one up on me. I think anyone who has made bows has had one go south on him.
Be patient, and follow the help you get on here from the guys who have made a board bow. I think it's great that your making a bow for your dad.

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2014, 12:15:38 am »
red oak will make a good bow, but you are better off getting some hickory or maple or white oak boards, they cost about the same as red oak and you have a better chance of getting a shooter
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline arachnid

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2014, 12:41:41 am »
My first board bow was built following sam harper's
Build a long. Just google- poor folks bows. He's site is great for beginners. My first bow still shoots....

But be careful, bow making is addictive...

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 01:28:15 am »
I'm new to bow building myself, I have read that a lot of people have problems with red oak boards breaking.  I know that these oards are kiln dried which forces the moisture out of them. This is true on most lumber at the store.  That being said I have tillered two bows as of today that are both red oak. I'm not sure it made a lot of difference but I bought my board about 5 month's before I used it. I let it sit in my garage, not on purpose, but it had time to draw some moisture and acclimate  to the environment in which it was going to worked on.  Now I did back both of my bows before I tillered them one with dog bone rawhide(witch works really well) and the other one with fiberglass cloth (sorry I know it doesn't belong here).  Both of them was modeled after a build along from boarrior boys on YouTube. Good luck buddy, and keep trying you will make one happen! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline zenart

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2014, 02:45:31 am »
It should not happen with any wood. If it does do what I said. All a matter of grain direction.

I can attest to that one George. I did my homework (your site included!) for weeks beforehand, then I spent a full 1 1/2 hours in the wood specialty store going thru what seemed like hundred pieces of wood before I found one with straight grain and little or no run-off that was laid out to end up in the tips area. Result: Success! 42#'er @ 29 and a very efficient sweet MAPLE shooter. Spits 'em like darts, flat n true.  .Ron
Huntington Beach, CA … there's no trees here but we do have lumber yards.

Offline Pago

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2014, 04:59:18 am »
Make red oak wide and long, like 2" wide. Use a tillering gizmo and never pull the bow past your target weight.  Good luck.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2014, 04:28:32 pm »
I have made a few bows now and I still break them regularly. You will learn so much more from the ones that dont make it than the ones that do.
I accept and understand why each failure happens and that's the key.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2014, 05:09:34 pm »
I'd almost be willing to bet that most board bows break because of grain run offs, either on the back or run offs along the sides. Some of the wood bought at lumber stores is weaker than it ordinarily would be because the way I was handled from the stump to the store. In most cases that doesn't matter because you can still make a good table, chair or box with it but for bows you need very sound wood that can handle the bending and recovery that bow wood needs. Finding the best grain possible is the place to start but also the "heft" of the wood. Some boards feel lighter than others of the same wood. I'd choose the heavier stuff.
 I haven't made many board bows over the last few years but I made lots before. Most were backed though. I've always had enough stave wood to keep me going. I have nothing against board bows. I'm seen some very nice board bows. I just prefer tree staves over boards for my bow building.
 I don't think that kiln drying adversely affects boards for bow building either. As much as we manipulate our bow woods with heat, wet or dry, and in hot boxes these days I just don't see where kiln drying matters.   Slow air drying might be better. Probably makes for more stable wood in the long run.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2014, 06:09:12 pm »
That's some good advice Pat B!
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2014, 10:58:48 pm »
If you look on youtube and search for tillering, you should be able to find richard heads longbows video on tillering, which I think is actually pretty good. It just takes practice, like anything. And like anything, diligent practice will pay off results, everytime. Just stick with it. I have had bouts where I break like 4 bows in a row, for 4 different reasons! It's frustrating, but you just gotta take a little break for a while and cool off... ...maybe a chill out for a week or more, or until you feel like picking up another stave, and then get back at it!  ;D
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2014, 11:46:42 pm »
As Pat said, most board bows break from grain run offs. You can increase your odds for success by choosing wider boards, then you can lay your bow out with a lot better grain orientation. Its just about impossible to find a 2" board that doesn't have a lot of run offs.  Also always keep the edges smooth and rounded. Boards are a great way to learn, I broke my first seven board bows before I got a shooter, stay with it, the reward of a sweet shooting bow that you made yourself is well worth all the aggravation.