Author Topic: wild asparagus  (Read 6589 times)

Offline rover brewer

wild asparagus
« on: April 13, 2014, 08:29:04 am »
 I don't know if I spelled it right but is it OK to eat wild asparagus  there is some come up in the fence rows.
john 3:16

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: wild asparagus
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 09:29:54 am »
pictures.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 09:35:33 am »
I'll have to see if I remember how to put pictures on site here but I know this I wild asparagus I have enough for a small side dish now. somehow I knew that you would be the first to respond.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 10:22:28 am »
Here's a lengthy article.  There are foraging forums out there that will be able to help you out a lot better than anyone here.  Here's a list of foraging instructors from all over the country.  These people are insanely knowledgeable and they could tell you more than you thought possible about any edible plant.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 10:55:50 am »
Read Uele Gibbon's, "Stalking the Wild Asparagus".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 11:04:52 am »
Read Uele Gibbon's, "Stalking the Wild Asparagus".

"Many parts of a pine tree are edible.  Tastes like bark!"

If you are seeing wild asparagus, confirm it with several sources, grin like a monkey and get it while the getting is good!  I can't get enough of the stuff, just love it lightly stir fried with onions and crumbled bacon. Or even just by itself.  I'll gorge on it until my pee looks like green Kool-Aid!

Congrats on a great find!  Oh, and yes, post pictures.  GPS coordinates are just as good, please and thank you!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 12:09:33 pm »
Wild asparagus is the same as cultivated asparagus, go for it. I once lived close to a RR track that had it growing in abundance along the tracks. I heard that the crushed limestone track bed altered the acid Alabama soil ph into the perfect ph for asparagus so it thrived there.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 04:25:25 pm »
The oldtimers used to plant them along the fence rows near the houses and barns.
They are all over the place down here.
My only concern would be if the county or state road departments have sprayed the areas.
Best to get them small and tender. Yum!
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 04:49:54 pm »
I hated asparagus untill I tried some growing in a ditch in Colo. I just checked today and saw what I have growing in the garden is finally coming up.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 04:57:18 pm »
here you go
Lakeland, Florida

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 06:36:31 pm »
What mullet is not telling us is that he tried another Colorado ditch weed first.  Suddenly EVERYTHING tasted much better!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 06:58:26 pm »
thanks everyone sorry it took so long for me to get back on, church and pot luck after so kids could hunt eggs. the picture mullet has is what mine looks like except mine are just starting to sprout.I have kept my eye on them since last year when I found them and they had already bolted.

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 07:12:13 pm »
thanks Tim for the article it was a good read, and there is an instructor right in Nashville. I'll have to see about get up with him.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 09:33:53 pm »
RB;
When I first found them in CO., You could pick them in the AM and then again int he PM.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline stickbender

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 11:51:42 pm »
What mullet is not telling us is that he tried another Colorado ditch weed first.  Suddenly EVERYTHING tasted much better!
  And in mass quantities!  ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D :P

Wayne