Author Topic: New here and have some basic questions  (Read 8768 times)

w.nathan08

New here and have some basic questions
« on: April 21, 2014, 11:48:30 am »
Howdy,

I'm new here and to making bows and have a few questions.
What type of wood is good to make a first bow?
Board bow or self bow (raw wood, I think)?
I'm using the poorfolkbows.com build along, is there a different, maybe more detailed,  one ya'll recommend?

Any other advice?

Nathan
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:55:55 am by w.nathan08 »

Offline adb

Re: New here and have some basic questions
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 01:14:30 pm »
Kinda like asking what first car you should buy!

Any idea what type of bow you want to make? Have you done any reading or research? The Trad Bowyers Bibles are a great resource. All 4 volumes have valuable info. Do a search on this forum also.

w.nathan08

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 04:33:43 pm »
Well, I have looked at the type of bow I would like. I'm familiar with shooting recurve and would prefer that or a short bow, but willing to build something more simple if it more forgiving for first time bow. This same thought for the wood also. I've only ever looked for wood at a major store (Home Depot) and only seen boards, so I have no idea how easy or expensive it is to find raw wood.
I've been reading several of the build-a-longs on this site, the poorfolkbows.org and instructables. I like the build-a-long for a red oak board bow on the poorfolkbows because it appears more forgiving and a way to learn the basics.

Like a car, I don't I should jump up and by the latest sports car if I've never driven a car before. Even though I want something small and fast, it might be better that I get a Camry until I learn to drive.

As far as the Traditional Bowyers Bibles, I haven't found Vol 1 locally or as a "legal" download. I will be ordering it soon.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 06:26:00 pm »
lots of great builds on here just do a little digging, you would be surprised at how nice a simple D bow shoots and a great way to get started
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,35312.0.html
http://peteward.com/Articles/Ferret.osage.buildalong1.htm
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=001047
a board bow, a stave bow, jawge's site is loaded with info, and a gizmo, pick your poison, bub
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 06:30:16 pm by bubby »
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

w.nathan08

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 08:22:09 pm »
D bow looks good! I did find a build a long:
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,4815.msg66217.html#msg66217

What about the type of wood or where to find a stave?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 10:03:09 pm »
What part of the country are you located in?  Various regions have different woods that are common and make good bows.  For example, if you were in Missouri, you'd have osage, mulberry, several kinds of hickory, hackberry, and lots others. 

If you lived in North Dakota, you would have Lowes, Menards, and other lumberyards.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

w.nathan08

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 10:04:38 pm »
I live in Texas, Houston area.

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 12:04:00 am »
Isn't osage as common as dog terds in Texas?? Git yer hands on some osage!

Stringman

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 10:15:46 am »
Isn't osage as common as dog terds in Texas?? Git yer hands on some osage!

Second that! Osage is THE  best bow wood for beginners bar none!! (Ok, I'm a little partial) You should have several Tex folks in your area that might be able to offer some time if you were willing to drive over! Either way, you're in the right place. Just get some wood chucked up and start to whittling, then post lotsa pics and ask questions. It's a safe bet your first won't be your last.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 02:58:18 pm »
Isn't George from the Houston area? He has wood, knowledge and a generous nature.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Stringman

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 03:35:17 pm »
I think he's more Dallas than Houston

w.nathan08

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 03:40:59 pm »
I'm near Dallas several times a month. I wouldn't mind meeting up and asking questions.

Offline RedBear1313

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 10:06:42 am »
Second that! Osage is THE  best bow wood for beginners bar none!! (Ok, I'm a little partial) You should have several Tex folks in your area that might be able to offer some time if you were willing to drive over! Either way, you're in the right place. Just get some wood chucked up and start to whittling, then post lotsa pics and ask questions. It's a safe bet your first won't be your last.

I've read and heard from several sources that osage isn't the best wood to start with.

Why do you say it is?

Coincidentally I am just getting started and that's all that I have right now is osage but was thinking about getting a hickory stave to work first.
Hold on to what you can't remember, make sense of what you can't decipher.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 04:09:56 pm »
If you have lots of osage then use it for your first. The only reason I can think of why it should not be used by beginners is because most would have to buy an osage stave and that could be expensive. By the time you learn on sage any other wood would be a piece of cake to work.  ;D
 Gus is from Houston.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline 4dog

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 08:31:07 am »
w.nathan...there is a gtg at Welch Park  may 17-18,, in Somerville ,Texas ...there will be at least a couple of us from PA there ,( think gus said he was coming),,youll find plenty of help to get ya started and im pretty sure you can get an osage stave for a handshake and a smile (pretty sure)   lol,, ;)  ,,at any rate youll get started on the right foot...come on up!  more info on the events page.
"SET" is always there !!!