Author Topic: Increasing spine?  (Read 4987 times)

Don Case

Increasing spine?
« on: April 22, 2014, 02:19:52 pm »
I bought some 3/8" dowelling of mystery wood(possibly maple). It's beautifully straight. Comes in 6' lengths. I thought I was on to something. I put it on my newly built spine tester and it measured .700 deflection, about 37-40 lbs or so. My bow is 55#. Does this sound like it's in the ballpark since I have to subtract some weight for selfbow, some for point etc? Is there any way of increasing static spine if I'm too light?
Thanks
Don

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Increasing spine?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 02:36:12 pm »
How long are you cutting them Don? You'll lose 5# every inch under 28" BOP. As far as adding spine? I know of two ways: Shorter arrows or lighter tips. I suppose wiping several coats of sealer on may add a pound.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Don Case

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 02:50:29 pm »
They'll be about 28- 30 inches I think. Kind of ashamed to admit it but I'm having a heck of a time trying to pull this new bow so I won't know the length for sure til I man up a bit and see just how far. I can manage 40# OK but 55# makes me grunt a touch( a big touch :-[ :-[ )

Don Case

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 03:07:24 pm »
I just read a bunch of posts about spining. I made my spine tester using some old plans and made it 26". So now I have to modify it to make it 28". That will make the shaft deflect more. These new dowels are getting softer by the minute. I'm thinking I bought garden stakes for my wife.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 03:10:14 pm »
26" centers are correct, don't change that on your tester. If they spined 37-40, they will be 27-30 out to 30". They wont work for your bows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Don Case

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 03:18:45 pm »
They'll sure make nice garden stakes. One of them is fletched too.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 03:21:24 pm »
Very nice stakes, or 45-50# arrows that are 26-27" long. Im 6' 1" and draw 27.5" if I squeeze my cheeks together. I shoot 28-28.5" bop arrows.

Don Case

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 04:13:21 pm »
bop???

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 04:14:47 pm »
Back of point

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 05:25:14 pm »
I havent tried it yet, but i would think you could "toast" it some with heat to increase spine... Has anyone tried this?.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 06:37:04 pm »
That's worth a try, Brian. Tempering should increase the spine a bit.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline okie64

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 06:38:13 pm »
Cut one of them as short as possible for your draw and drop to 100 grain points and see how it flies. Kinda like PD said, about 26-27" should work out for 50lbs or so.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 06:38:55 pm »
I havent tried it yet, but i would think you could "toast" it some with heat to increase spine... Has anyone tried this?.... Brian

koan,
With the arrow being round, I don't think you will pick up much spine.

You can add a little weight to the nock end of the arrow and pick up some spine, but not much.

Very nice stakes, or 45-50# arrows that are 26-27" long. Im 6' 1" and draw 27.5" if I squeeze my cheeks together. I shoot 28-28.5" bop arrows.

I'm with Pearl,  if I have some shafts on the weak side, I make them as short as possible.  I'm 6' 1" also and only draw about 27", and its true about hand size, shoe size and "draw length".. ::) ;)
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Don Case

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 08:47:09 pm »
I just tried toasting one and it changed the deflection from .700 to .600 which sounds good but the arrow bent a lot and didn't straighten when I heated the other side. I'll wait til it cools completely and then use more heat to try to straighten it. So it looks like it works but it's a lot less fuss to start with a stiffer arrow. I'll probably have an extra hour into it. Not that my time is worth much :D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 08:58:08 pm »
Don, heat the shaft while spinning it starting at one end and work down the shaft to the other end. Lay it on a flat surface to cool completely. You should still be able to make slight adjustments by hand after tempering.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC