Author Topic: Ressurection of an old tub  (Read 6291 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Ressurection of an old tub
« on: April 23, 2014, 11:39:30 am »
My beloved gramps passed a few months back. He bought this boat new somewhere between 1973-76. Since I was old enough to know, Ive wanted it and cant explain just what attracts me to it. Ive owned plenty of full blown 17' fishing boats in my day, but this little dude is my fave and I now own it ;D ;D. If you EVER have a need to clean up unpainted aluminum, Id suggest Zing. Ive restored and rebuilt a lot of boats and used a lot of products that promised a clean hull, this the ONLY one that actually works. This boat was literally black before I started. Check out Youtube vids for real time info, its amazing and easy......and cheap.. ;)

14" Sea Nymph
9.9 Evinrude
Tilt trailer (awesome for river launches)

I left it all original on purpose, right down to the seats and anchors. I just cleaned it up, replaced the bunk boards, replaced the transom wood, tubed the tires, installed a 2" coupler, and added LED lighting to the trailer. Im surprised how well the 9.9 gets up with two people and gear in it. She will plane out nicely, Im guessing 12-15 mph.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Ressurection of an old tub
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 11:48:16 am »
Very cool.  Every fishing trip will bring back memories.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 12:09:52 pm »
I'm looking to sell almost the exact same thing, right now! 
1’—>1’

Offline Roy

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 01:38:44 pm »
Very nice, Chris...

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 01:48:52 pm »
Cool PD! I just got me a Water Quest 11.3 w/ trailer for $300. Can't wait to take it to the carp flats this spring. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 02:38:16 pm »
She looks good!  Nice job!  I need to find me a motor like that for my 14' Jon.  The old mercury gave up the ghost about five years ago.  Josh

Offline Marks

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 03:23:36 pm »
I've got an old motor almost just like that on an old 14' Delphi. Mine is a 9.5hp. I believe the 9.9 replaced the 9.5 and I'm pretty sure mine is a '73 so your must be a 74-76. Mine belonged to my uncles when they were young and now me and my cousin share it. It'll get you where you need to go as long as you aren't in a hurry. That dephi is a narrow flatbotton and with that motor it will run in nearly ankle deep water.

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 03:41:52 pm »
Cool beans Chris, I have a feeling I i.e. why you want it original, wish one of my gramps was around when I was growing up
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 03:58:55 pm »
You know me too well bub. Im really missing that ol' bastard about now and this boat is as close as I can get.......Im actually pulling it up to his favorite fishing spot on Lake Huron is a few weeks. Im going to spend a few days fishing and thinking.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 04:09:53 pm »
enjoy that old tub and all the good times had, and that your gonna have my friend
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 05:48:20 pm »
Nice little rig, Pearlie. Those little 9.9/15hp Evenrude/Johnsons are great little outboards. I had the 15hp of a 11' Whaler when we lived in Bluffton, SC.  The only difference in the 9.9 and 15 is either different jetting in the carb or exhaust tuning. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stoker

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 06:23:17 pm »
I got a 12' from my dad it has a 9.9... Fun rig gotta get the old man out in her again
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 06:31:26 pm »
Sweet little rig, hope you get your string stretched in her.  :).
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 08:47:17 pm »
Nice little rig, Pearlie. Those little 9.9/15hp Evenrude/Johnsons are great little outboards. I had the 15hp of a 11' Whaler when we lived in Bluffton, SC.  The only difference in the 9.9 and 15 is either different jetting in the carb or exhaust tuning. 

Wish I knew what it took Pat. Id do it. The 9.9 zips pretty good, but a 15 would skip across the pond.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 08:51:10 pm »
Sweet little rig, hope you get your string stretched in her.  :).
DBar

Im taking her catfishing on the river within a week bassmaster. I went for a ride on the river Sunday after dinner to test her out. Ran like a top and no leaks. The water looked great and the temp has got to be 55 ish. Perfect for channels and pike. Gotta get me some chubs to cut up, its on!!