Author Topic: Question on tillering  (Read 2002 times)

Offline wizardgoat

Question on tillering
« on: April 26, 2014, 07:24:52 pm »
All the bows I've made so far have been symmetrical. Both limbs the same length, bow is centred on the tree, and my pulley pulling centre too. I shoot my bows with the arrow on centre, and grip just below. Just not sure if this is the best way, the 2x4 on my tree I picture as my hand, so the arrow should be shot off my middle finger??
Just seems like I think I'm dead on with my tiller, then take photos and it looks a little off.
I'm making a yew warbow, and have the top limb 1" longer.
I'll try to word my question carefully.

My bow sits on the tiller tree, top limb to the right.
I marked 1" below centre, and that's centred on my tree.
Do I pull on that mark, or should I move my pulley 1" to the right, on the true centre.
For some reason any info I read on asymmetrical tillering doesn't penetrate my brain, and I just don't get it.
Is my arrow being shot off true centre in the end, or off the 1" below centre mark?
I'm just not sure if I'm pulling the string in the right spot when I tiller.
Sorry if this made no sense!

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Question on tillering
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 09:22:03 pm »
We or most of us have had this happen before... I tiller out to around 2" shy of my final draw and weight and then begin taking pictures, some use mirrors or shadows to finish or tweak the final tiller. Your bow hand and drawing fingers will almost always change the tiller...There are many ways, this is mine. Tiller is very sensitive to any pressure change. Take different grips like heel down heel up, 3 under, one over and look at the pictures, it's amazing how much it will change!
                                                                                                             Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 11:18:51 pm »
I use a mirror from start to finish. I was amazed when I started this method how well the mirror captures the tiller closer to the way the camera does compared to looking at the bow in the tillering tree.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Swatch

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 11:27:53 pm »
I put the tiller stick on the true centerline of the bow. I shoot off my hand at 1 inch above the true centerline, or if I cut out a shelf, or glue on a shelf, it is at the 1 inch above center. I tiller so that the bottom limb is stronger, about 3/16th less than the upper limb when measured at an equal distance from center about where the fades end. When shooting, I adjust my nocking point on the string to get good bare shaft flight. Brace height is also adjusted to get the best flight too.
Steve Hatch
The Yurt Man

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 12:56:26 am »
Thanks guys, great advice.