Author Topic: Horse or war bow  (Read 6746 times)

Offline huntertrapper

Horse or war bow
« on: December 29, 2007, 08:40:30 pm »
has anyone ever made an "indian" bow that is short and sinew backed and pulls in the upper 70s- 90s in weight. like a buffalo or horse bow. its made to be shot from a horse at buffalo from a few feet. i plan to make one and need some info if anyone has made one. i heard they could be named after the lakota or all the other western tribes. any info or pictures would be cool thanks.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline FVR

• http://www.angelfire.com/ga/alionatemysister/
Re: Horse or war bow
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 10:52:25 pm »
I've made a few, but not that heavy.  Kept my bows in the 45 to 50lb range.  They were 46 to 48 inches long, had slight recurved tips, backed with 6 layers of elk leg sinew.  They drew 26" and shot fairly well.  Gave them away or donated to St. Judes years back.

Made them out of either osage or elm, did make one out of hickory and gave it to my brother.  He has not shot it in I don't know how many years and I'm trying to get him to send it down to me so I can make another. 

I don't ever write down dimensions, I should.

Good book is Reginald Laubins Indian Archery.  I tried the intestine covering, did not like it.  Also tried the buffalo rib bow, one of my failures that I plan on trying again. 
Can't cheat the mountain, pilgrim.
Mountain got it....

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 11:39:59 pm »
buffalo rib bow? that sounds interesting. When you made your bows did you put bead and quills on them? ive seem them all done like that.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline FVR

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 09:52:24 am »
No bead or quills, just short little pony bows, nothing fancy.   I did however use alot of sinew, not just on the back. I wrapped the limbs in sinew as I wanted to draw them past the so called regulated draw length.

Usually if you have a 50 inch bow, you can draw it 25 inches.

Your quest on a heavy short bow, would like to see that and watch it get shot.
Mountain got it....

Offline Little John

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 12:14:44 pm »
Good luck on the horse bow, I love horse archery, but have always used standard length bows.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 02:38:19 pm »
I made one.. its 48'' long about 1'' wide it its thickest and pulls 27'' 3 corses of deer sinew with hide glue.. pulls 55lbs.. and its my favorit bow i have hunted with it for 2 years in a row..
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 03:42:23 pm »
I didn't know the horse bows were 70# to 90#. I would thing 45# to 60# would be plenty at that close range.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 06:33:16 pm »
...The Blackfeet Nation were known fer makin' horse bows that were 70 + lbs. Most were 45-60 lbs. by most Nations. Ya dont need that power when game is that close as Pat said. A really strong bow usually belonged ta a great warrior and hunter. Was a sign of status more than anything else.....bob

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 07:52:36 pm »
in that case all my bows are 150lbs +  ourrrgg ah ah *smakes cheast* *rubs head*
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 08:30:18 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.............bob

Immortal

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 08:33:02 pm »
I'm no good with my hands, but would be interested in purchasing a bow like that...

Offline FVR

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 09:29:41 pm »

Here are the last two that I made.  Donated the top one to St. Judes a few years back, the elm, gonna keep it.
Mountain got it....

napper

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 02:36:16 pm »
made one sometime back traded it for a stone knife. It was 42" tip to tip and about 70# at 21" it was vine maple with 3 or 4 layers  of sinew on the back I could shoot it ok to about 15 yards after that things got iffie. tom

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 10:22:08 pm »
those a re nice bows but i guess im wrong to say a horse bow i mean something different. i saw it ona  video on youtube this guy red hawk made it. he wouldnt draw it back to full draw just half way. and from the target at like a few feet it went in a good foot or so i think. any way thanks for the info fellas.
Modern Day Tramp