Author Topic: The last Algonquin  (Read 1616 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
The last Algonquin
« on: April 29, 2014, 10:02:02 pm »
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Traxx

Re: The last Algonquin
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 12:58:16 pm »
dont know,but i guess its possible.

My Grandfather,was a packer for the USFS and he supplied the lookouts in Idaho.This was back before they had roads in most of these areas.He told me stories of 2 Bannock brothers,that lived the traditional way up in those mountains.They would bring him meat and they wanted Chocolate in return.This was in the 20's.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 02:42:58 pm »
NEAT. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Traxx

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 09:03:50 pm »
Well,
Unfortunately, my grandads story didnt end well.Seems after he left the area,the brothers took to town to trade.While in town,i guess an Indian hater,started in on em and 1 of the brothers stabbed him.A mob arrested them and "supposedly",they committed suicide while in their cell.

My Grandad always felt a bit responsible for that and took it to his grave.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 10:49:21 am »
Well,
Unfortunately, my grandads story didnt end well.Seems after he left the area,the brothers took to town to trade.While in town,i guess an Indian hater,started in on em and 1 of the brothers stabbed him.A mob arrested them and "supposedly",they committed suicide while in their cell.

My Grandad always felt a bit responsible for that and took it to his grave.

Sad story. 

Up here the government had, pretty well still do, total control of the natural resource.  Status "Indians" could hunt year round but only on their reservation.  If you were a non-status Indian though you had to pretend you were white or else risk starvation because nobody would hire you.  this was the case up to the 60's and 70's.  My dad used to go out hunting and fishing with a non-status and he told me the MNR tried to catch him for years, even set dogs on him one time.  He killed them all, which most likely didn't endear him to them  :).

« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 01:00:10 pm by Marc St Louis »
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com