Author Topic: My 1st bow--Critique & Advice Please & Knots  (Read 14229 times)

Offline bubby

Re: My 1st bow--Critique & Advice Please & Knots
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2014, 01:54:48 pm »
yes temper the belly
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline RedBear1313

« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2014, 04:02:38 pm »

so while trying to straighten the stave using oil and a heat gun, a small crack formed in the belly about 6 1/2" above the fade,

is this salvagable?
Hold on to what you can't remember, make sense of what you can't decipher.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2014, 04:39:54 pm »
Maybe, yes.  Sometimes you can scrape down below the split as you tiller and problem solved.  I have filled them with CA glue and moved on if they are minor, then wrapped with sinew.  I will say that that is in my opinion a bad spot for it to happen I would think.  I have had them occur nearer the tip without any problems.  I am talking about very minor little separations, and again most I sanded out.  You could put a very thin belly lam on that spot, but I would consider that only if I had no other options.
  Now analyze why it happened so you can minimize them going forward.  Could be that it simply wasn't hot enough to bend yet and you forced it.  There shouldn't be that much bend that close to the handle so it splitting there is a bit peculiar.  Was there a kink in the limb you were working out?  If so you took it too far to fast.  Heat gun?  If so you must go very slowly and make micro moves on the wood.  Heat, turn the crank just a bit, heat, turn the crank just a bit and so on.  I have started to lightly sand the belly on those spots right before I tighten another notch.  Purely speculation, but I believe it sands away any minor tears before they become what you have.  It cant hurt anything and it has reduced the number of splits for me, so there you go.

Very sweet color on that piece of wood by the way.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 04:51:12 pm by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline RedBear1313

« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2014, 05:12:35 pm »
Yes, there was a kink in the wood.  I rubbed it with oil, heated it with a heat gun, turning the stave constantly until it was too hot to touch.

Next time, I'll just use steam.   And I was about to try scraping down some.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2014, 06:10:05 pm »
I am assuming the split is in the belly, but in that pic it doesn't look like it's belly wood. That's not the back is it?
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline RedBear1313

« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2014, 06:49:08 pm »
not the back, in the belly.

I sanded and scraped on it some more, and got the vast majority of it out, but I still haven't put it on a tree and even tested the weight so now I need to straighten it out.

I figured using a heat gun would be like using fire.

Don Case

« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2014, 08:00:55 pm »
I just used a heat gun to take the twist out of my first yew bow. I set the bow up so I could put a constant pressure on it with a crescent wrench and then started heating. As the bow heats up you can feel the wood give. Just keep a constant pressure on it and it will gradually move. Don't put to much pressure on it. Have a method pre-arranged to hold the bow in the new position. It's really hard to hold it in position while you try to reach clamps and such. Don't ask me how I know.

Offline RedBear1313

« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2014, 10:43:50 pm »
ok, got this thing all straightened and ready to move on.

I plan on reflexing the tips, this bow is 65 1/2" overall, how much curve should I give it?

or I guess I should ask how much length of the tips should be curved and how extreme of a curve?

« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 01:18:46 am by RedBear1313 »