Author Topic: My 1st bow--Critique & Advice Please & Knots  (Read 14227 times)

Offline RedBear1313

My 1st bow--Critique & Advice Please & Knots
« on: May 02, 2014, 04:10:29 pm »
OK guys, this is my first attempt at a bow here, so I'm gonna be asking some questions.
I've got several osage staves and have been working down the rings on  a few of them, I figured I'd work em all down to one ring so I could save the very best ones for after I've gained a little experience building a few bows, using the not so great ones first.

This stave has only one knot in it and I attempted to work around the best I could. Study the pics and you'll see that it's not too large, but has that black punky center.  I think I'll go ahead and use this one for my first since it has the knot in it.
(a couple of the staves are completely knot free)

How well did I do working around the knot? and is it bad enough that it's going to need special treatment?

I was thinking about backing it with sinew for insurance since it's my first attempt.
Oh yeah, it's shiny because after I was done chasing down the ring I rubbed it with oil before I'm going to put some polyurethane on it while it continues to season.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 10:27:40 am by RedBear1313 »
Hold on to what you can't remember, make sense of what you can't decipher.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: My 1st bow--Critique & Advice Please & Knots
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 04:12:05 pm »
Looks better than my work. If its wide enough, Id go right around that knot in the layout. Don't sinew back your bow for security. Sinew back it because its a design that requires it. Sinew is too heavy for insurance only.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 04:40:16 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline RedBear1313

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 04:42:25 pm »
what kind of design requires it?  that's what I've read in a few of the books that I've been studying out of.

The knot is 38" down from the top and it's 3" wide at that point.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 04:45:50 pm »
Kind of a long answer. Ill give you a short version. Very short bows that are stressed beyond what wood alone can handle. Also, some designs with very high reflex. I would suggest avoiding any backs at all unless you need one, they are heavy and slow a bow down. They wont hold a poorly built bow together any better than leaving it un-backed, they just take a bit longer to break down. As clean as your back is, leave it be and build a bow that is your draw length x 2 plus 8-10" long tip to tip. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline RedBear1313

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 05:01:20 pm »
my plan was a long bow, i think that's obvious from the length of the stave
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 05:07:58 pm by RedBear1313 »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 05:07:38 pm »
What is your draw length? Ill give you some numbers to use, if you chose.

Offline RedBear1313

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 05:09:20 pm »
26-27" I went to bass pro one day to see if they could help me find my actual draw length but the gave me this whole deal about all traditional is based on 26.

basically, they didn't help much

I had figured it exact one day, and wrote it down in one of my books for reference as I got closer to a finished bow but that book is not right at hand at the moment. 

but I remember it being between 26 - 27"
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 05:14:50 pm by RedBear1313 »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 05:13:35 pm »
They have no clue at box stores, not their fault.

I would build your bow 64" tip to tip. Start with 1 5/8" wide and finish it off around 1 3/8 wide. Keep that 1 5/8 width until mid limb, then straight taper to 1/2" wide tips, you can also narrow them later. The handle should be 4" long and each fade should extend 1 1/2" beyond the handle. That will leave you 27 1/2" of working limb per side. Id suggest skirting that knot since you have plenty of width to do so.

Offline RedBear1313

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 05:15:43 pm »
skirting? 

you mean just follow the grain around it?

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 05:16:44 pm »
Looks good.  I agree with PD completely, leave the sinew out.  No reason I can see from the pic that you will need it.  Learn to build a durable self bow first and foremost.  Later, build a sinew backed bow that is tillered well and designed to be sinew backed.  If I remember, you are from the Waco area???  If I'm right, bring it to the Lake Somerville get-together in a few weeks and I would be tickled to help you with it.  I'm sure others will as well.
BTW, I have never oiled a freshly peeled Bodark stave.  Maybe it will have some impact on checking, I don't know, but I would wipe it clean and get a sealer on it now.  Poly wont stick well if the stave is oily.  I just split an 84 inch long Osage stave Saturday to get a belly split.  No problemo.  As I chased a ring on the belly split, it checked before I finished it.  Stave has been drying for a year or more.  Humidity is wildly low around here and that'll do it.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 05:18:44 pm »
Exactly. When it comes to bow layout ALWAYS follow the grain. When I say straight taper to 1/2" tips, that doesn't mean a straight line, it means a gradual, consistent taper following the grain. Your grain is very easy to see, should be no problem. Take your time, next to tillering a bow the layout is second most important to the success and longevity of a bow. Everything else that is done to bows is just for eyes to goggle over.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 05:19:53 pm »
Take Slims offer up if possible. He can easily show you what Im trying to explain. You'll be amazed how fast it comes when taught in person.

Offline RedBear1313

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 05:21:10 pm »
Im in KCMO

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 05:21:28 pm »
Damn the luck.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 05:29:34 pm »
Heck, were only what 12 hours away. :)
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.