Author Topic: Lookin' for staves - Osage! or Mulberry Hackberry Hickory or ??  (Read 3094 times)

Offline zenart

I'm new to bow building. Very very lucky enough to have made several board bows under tutelage from Badger, yeah I know, how blessed am I!)  Anyway, I now want to try workin' a draw knife. I live in So Calif, not the best place to find wood staves.. especially the 'gold'. Mainly looking for 65"-70" staves.

Well, bein' new and all I don't have a lot to trade but I got an older bitzenberger rw jig and I can trade services. I'm an artist. Fine artist painter and Graphic Designer (35yrs experience) in advertising art, logos, web design (a bit rusty with coding but can manage smaller stuff), illustration, whatever. Here's my site: http://rondewilde.com if you're interested in seeing what I do (paintings sorely need updating). Thanks- Ron

ps. also need arrow shafts and feathers!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 02:24:05 pm by zenart »
Huntington Beach, CA … there's no trees here but we do have lumber yards.

Offline bubby

Re: Lookin' for staves - Osage! or Mulberry Hackberry Hickory or ??
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 06:03:47 pm »
I might have a mulberry stave if you pay the shipping i'll look and see
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 01:30:54 am »
I'll look through my locust and see what I've got that would be good for a beginner...
Do you prefer your knots in even or odd numbers, or do you specifically want them prime >:D ;)

I've been needing to make "On The Marc" (primitive archery?) work in a logo. I think I've got my "official" bowyer's mark figured out, simple and easy to draw/burn/carve.

I'm getting things ready to move so I'm fine just getting a little help with details I've put off and sending the stave your way.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline zenart

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 09:03:51 am »
I'm sorry it's taken me so long to respond guys. Bunch of stuff happen'd last month… anyway, I'll PM you both tomm.  See what we can do.  Thanks for replying. Ron
Huntington Beach, CA … there's no trees here but we do have lumber yards.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 03:01:32 pm »
I may have a good long piece of Osage. If you will saw the shipping I'll get it to ya!
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!