Author Topic: Bald Eagle in Tampa Bay...  (Read 3183 times)

Offline seminolewind

Bald Eagle in Tampa Bay...
« on: May 09, 2014, 10:34:09 am »
Hey guys,

So my house is right on the water on the north east side of Tampa Bay. I have been seeing this bald eagle over the last couple days and had my camera ready this morning while I was drinking coffee on my porch. Sure enough he showed up and let me snap a couple pics. (I wont go into detail how I tethered my chihuahua by that tree to bring him in)  >:D

Thought it was pretty cool seeing bald eagles all the way down here, growing up in Alaska they were all over the place and I havent really been this close to one since.

enjoy !
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Bald Eagle in Tampa Bay...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 10:45:53 am »
Cool man. I seen one on Marathon a month ago when I was down fishing. Bout fell out of the boat. We see plenty of osprey down there, never bald eagles.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 11:02:05 am »
Nice!  Beautiful birds.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 11:05:42 am »
Cool! We've had one around our place for a couple of weeks. Yesterday my wife texted me and said it flew in front of her car holding a squirrel in it's talons. She was stoked up about that. Nice pics!! dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 11:14:02 am »
As a kid, I used to dream of seeing one before they became extinct, something that was a real possibility.  Nowadays, there are so many in the area here that I pay almost no attention to them.  The recovery of the bald eagle is a great victory for everyone. 

Nice pics, Elijah, thanks for sharing!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 03:12:40 pm »
     At one time, back in the late fifties, or early sixties, Florida, had more Bald Eagles, than Alaska, but the pesticide DDT, it took a toll on them, and the brown pelicans.  They are getting more and more numerous here again.  i see them here in Port St Lucie, and had one fly across I-95, in Melbourne.  i used to see them all the time in the Three lakes hunting preserve.  They sound like some one twisting a rusty pipe coupling back and forth.  Nice picture.

Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 08:43:13 pm »
Nice picture, Elijah. You need to come over to Polk County.We have more here then any where else in the State. There is two making a nest on a radio tower across the street from the office and if you go to the landfill in SE Hillsborough county there is just about as many eating garbage as there is Sea Gulls.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 11:34:54 pm »
I'm really surprised that there isn't more of them down south. I thought they would have rebounded fairly evenly across and  up and down the continent.
 Always see plenty of them whenever I go out to Nova Scotia and I see them occasionally in Toronto.
 Saw a Golden Eagle north of Toronto a few years ago. That is a rare bird in these parts.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 02:21:13 am »
Wait......are they that uncommon down there?
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 03:00:29 am »
I know their call from the Presbyterian Church tower next to my home, where my dogs roam.  Dong.  Dong.  Dong.   Bout a good 100 foot tower.  It's a quick chirp.
1’—>1’

Offline Traxx

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 03:12:39 pm »
 there is just about as many eating garbage as there is Sea Gulls.

Thats why they call em Dumpster chickens,in Dutch Harbour.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 03:49:42 pm »
I once got into a tangle with an eagle and it snatched my eye out.  Have Ya'll ever heard the story? ;D
1’—>1’

Offline wildman

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 04:12:05 pm »
Great pics, really love the flight pic. I live on the Ohio river and they are very common place. We also are starting to see a few Osprey.
A few winters back I counted 39 adults and immature on Wabash Island about 10 miles North of me, most I have ever seen.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 10:22:14 pm »
I'm really surprised that there isn't more of them down south. I thought they would have rebounded fairly evenly across and  up and down the continent.
 Always see plenty of them whenever I go out to Nova Scotia and I see them occasionally in Toronto.
 Saw a Golden Eagle north of Toronto a few years ago. That is a rare bird in these parts.

You just need to come a little further west. We are on the migration route in London.  Lots in the spring and fall. More are starting to nest along the river and we see them on a regular basis  here in town. Only see the Golden eagles in the fall though.

Offline bow101

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 11:40:07 pm »
We have tons in our neck of the woods.  As a matter of fact they are hungry like the wolf now.  They are picking up domestic cats and dropping them on the rocky beaches.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell