Author Topic: How about multiflora rose?  (Read 3544 times)

Offline papoints

How about multiflora rose?
« on: May 11, 2014, 07:47:50 am »
Anybody use this stuff?  It's everywhere around here.  Do the scars from removing the thorns cause any kind of structural problems?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How about multiflora rose?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 09:10:08 am »
Multiflora rose makes good arrows and there are no problems with the thorn scars. Pick second year growth(with small branches ) and don't remove the bark until they are dry.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 09:38:11 am »
The thorns come off easily (when fresh cut, haven't tried when dry) if pushed sideways. They just pop off.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 10:09:51 am »
I aint used it myself but i remember some bein posted here a long time ago. I have a bunch growin here to but im not sure what diameter to use... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 11:26:02 am »
Brian, use the same diameter as any shoot shafts, 3/8" at the point end.
 Mickie Lotz(the Ferret) made and use rose arrows. Check out his build along. He may have info about building rose arrows there.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 09:02:56 pm »
Just finished one with stone point, pitch glue and sinew wrapped, stripped turkey tied with sinew . They tend to come straighter than the dogwood or hazel around here. They are very strong when dried.  The thorns just leave slightly raised areas ( not even a bump really) . I think it's my new favourite . About 5/16" on the nock end and spines in at 55-60 lb. impressive.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 10:02:20 pm »
This is good info, thanks! Do ya leave them longer like cane?
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 10:04:01 pm »
Self nocks??

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 02:25:47 am »

What does multi flora look like?  I have some wild roses around my place in Montana, but it is a tangled mess, and not a straight limb in the all of the plants I have come across.

Wayne

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 02:49:58 am »
They shrink a lot so cut them a bit big and keep the bark on them until dry.  The clean up REAL easy!  Easy to straighten and stay straight too.  Tough as nails.
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 08:36:15 am »
Wayne, that sounds like Multiflora rose.  ;D Lots of nasty thorns.  It was planted by the Wildlife folks for food and cover.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 08:39:54 am »
I like um. They are tough, but light. Yes, self nock. They are no different than any other shoot shaft. If you can get to the middle of the tangled mess they usually grow straighter right out of the center. This stuff is invasive a heck so most folks don't mind if you cut it off the road side or field edges. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 11:09:19 am »
Easier to cut in the winter ,as there isn't any foliage to get tangled up .Still not easy , but better. Self nocks are fine. I also leave the bark on to dry. Wear leather gloves and pop the thorns off right away ,of course.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 11:38:45 am »
In reality, I'd say all arrow shaft shoots are better cut in the winter, but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way. IMO, dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 09:39:13 pm »
In reality, I'd say all arrow shaft shoots are better cut in the winter, but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way. IMO, dp

Very true . I agree completely............................... but Dogwood doesn't have the teeth that roses do ;)  In the winter you can see whether it is worth wading in to get a shoot, and you're wearing long pants and shirts , coats etc. anyway . (around here at least) . That's all the incentive I need to wait until the snow flies again :D

On a side note , has anyone tried a bow out of it? I found a piece about 1-1/2"  or more  and have it drying in the shop. I'm going to see if I can get a little bow out of it. The wood actually looks like oak.