Author Topic: New Paleo DNA found  (Read 4045 times)

Offline Zuma

New Paleo DNA found
« on: May 16, 2014, 07:13:15 pm »
I am sort of a Clovis first person. At least the overwhelming evidence and DNA that
points to a migration into the Americas from Siberia.
I am relieved to see that this find is another nail in the coffin of Across Atlantic Ice
and Solutrean nonsense.
What do you'll think?

Ancient Skeleton Of Teenage Girl, 'Naia,' Sheds Light On First Americans

Paste this in your browser. Be nice if someone could make it a link.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Zuma

Re: New Paleo DNA found
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 09:19:22 pm »
Thank you Don.
I thought the link would have to be green. LOl
Yours works well.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 10:05:29 pm »
What about the dude that thinks they came on boats???  I'd never heard that!  How much later were pacific islanders than native Americans?  It seems do-able right?
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 11:41:06 pm »
What about the dude that thinks they came on boats???  I'd never heard that!  How much later were pacific islanders than native Americans?  It seems do-able right?
Hi Tim, how ya doin?
The maritime theories can certainly hold some possibilities but they are by and
far not substantiated for many reasons. Those folks like to push the dates back
to well before the Clovis era. No DNA to support any of that.
Most dates for eastern Pacific Islanders that I am aware of, are way later than even the Archaic period.  Just think about the fact that even later boats found in the Americas are just dugouts or bark canoes?
Zuma

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 12:32:48 am »
I read that article, Don, pretty cool. It was close to the same time period as Paleo points found in Florida.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 12:41:46 am »
I buy the Solutrean Theory,(I Am Here Right Now), as I have been on both sides of the Atlantic doing research, and the overwhelming evidence is that Clovis originated in Europe and made its way to the Atlantic Coast..

Riddle me this Batman....If Clovis came from Siberia, why are the majority of Clovis sites East of the Mississippi????? Very Few West Of it...Just Saying.....
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 01:01:27 am »
Why would the volume of sites on  one side of the continent indicate that they must have arrived on that side?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 09:26:33 am »
Maybe they ended up with their stash on the East coast after they had killed and driven every large animal from the NW in that direction and didn't want to swim? :-\
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 09:44:38 am »
Seems just as probable that they came over on the Northwest side and worked their way down and across fairly quickly and then went East and just spent more time there resulting in a higher number of sites.
 It certainly seems more feasible that if there is a pretty wide, dry land bridge populated by game that people wouldn't overly complicate the journey by taking a different route.
 Considering all the identical or virtually identical animals found on either continent it seems most likely that people came here exactly the same way.
 Nobody is talking about Wolves, Elk, and Moose coming over on boats.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 04:49:22 pm »
It's always fun to dream and guess about things, especially if they can't be proven !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Zuma

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 05:39:20 pm »
Wow, Great replies.
I think that east of the Mississippi is just a better place to live.
Mostly because of trees and vegetation. Milder climate.
My very own theory is that the original folks coming from the west
were initially Western Stemmed folks. Many of these finds in the Alaskan
Arctic and the far west are at least contemporary with Clovis if not just a smidgen ahead. Elephants were not to present in these territories (Great Basin) etc.
Mammoths were plentiful in southern Arizona and the Great Plains.
They were easy kills as the creatures had never encountered humans before.
Unlike the rest of the entire world. I think the Clovis point was invented just to kill these beasts. The flutes slowly disappear with the Mega Fauna.
I think a lot of folks, no matter how they look at this fascinating time of pre history.
They are looking.
Zuma

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 06:33:04 pm »
I bought the book Across Atlantic Ice and some theorys are very good. Contients were bigger and oceans were alot smaller. Dr. Gramly has started another dig at the Sugar Loaf Mt. site which has been tied up in legality since I believe 1985. Last yrs finds are truly outstanding and he believes this will be the largest clovis site ever, Personally I think they came both from east and west. Bob
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 10:20:14 pm by Outbackbob48 »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 06:59:50 pm »
I watched a show on TV recently about a site along the Savannah River that supposedly is one of the largest Clovis sites in the US. I also believe man came to the Americas from the Northwest across the Bering Straights and the Northeast along the Northern Atlantic shelf where the marine mammals hung out.
 12,000 to 15,000 years ago is when the last ice age began to reverse, supposedly when man first came to the Americas and about the time of the development of the bow and arrow.   Busy times!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Zuma

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2014, 08:22:36 pm »
I may be wrong but I think Gault  (Texas) tops Topper, the one on the Savannah.
The ice in the north Atlantic was 3,000 miles of desolation from France to New York City and up to the North Pole
 Not even a volcanic mountain island top. The animal zones would have only extended a couple hundred miles from either shore. An impossible trek in my opinion. Even with the clothing and  technology of today.
Certainly not enough survivors to establish a continent's worth of people very quickly.
I don't know the vintage of the bow in Europe or Asia, but it shows up in the Americas about 1,500 years ago from what I have read?
Gramley is in this link--
East Wenatchee Clovis Site - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I have been taken with some early Triangles from New England.
Zuma