Author Topic: Need to vent lol  (Read 10673 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Need to vent lol
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2014, 03:44:46 pm »
I'm getting ready to start a hunt. Something is pulling down my grapes in bunches. They are eating the ripe ones and leaving the green ones. >:(
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Zuma

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2014, 12:21:51 am »
I hear you Eddie.
I ran and got the 12 ga when I drove in,  and saw a squirrel ( no trees for 200 feet)
headed for my corn. Shot a chuck just cause he was lickin his lips.
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2014, 07:55:50 pm »
I guess those Crows don't like you.  We have lots of Crows up here in the Summer and I've yet to see one do that to any corn I've planted or even heard of one doing it
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2014, 09:11:23 am »
The squirrels are the ones that pull up my seeds, usually beans and corn.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline stickbender

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2014, 02:06:45 pm »

Eddie, you might have a coon, or possum eating your grapes.  Could also be squirrels.  I have had the little $#@#$@! eat my pineapples!  They will take a bite out of my mangoes, and then just bite them off the tree to see them fall, and not eat them.  i have only gotten a few mangoes because of it.

Wayne

Offline Zuma

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2014, 07:02:24 pm »
I guess those Crows don't like you.  We have lots of Crows up here in the Summer and I've yet to see one do that to any corn I've planted or even heard of one doing it
It's the first time for me Marc.
I bet you got some cotton tails?
I'll let them fatten up. lol
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2014, 05:42:58 am »
EEEEEWWWWWWW - Wascally Wabbits ! I've had a Wood Chuck hammering one of My Mullberrys. Seems to know when I have the .17 HMR sitting by the back door  :embarassed: ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2014, 12:20:43 pm »
Too far North for Cottontails, we have Snowshoe Hares.  Had one in front of the house this morning eating cardboard, never seen that before.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Zuma

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2014, 12:27:41 pm »
LOL chamook,

I had a commanding view of my garden when it was directly in front of the house.
Also 2 story decks all around. Great for chuck sitting and shooting.
No matter my cantaloupes would be cored out and nothing inside but the pits when I would come back from town or a visit to a friends.
I would stake out the garden for hours waiting for that chuck to show himself.
No luck.
One day I drove in from town and caught the rascal running from the garden towards the house.  I thought I had him for sure, until he ducked into his burrow.
Right under the front deck. He would just wait under the deck till my truck drove off. There's a little Elmer Fud in us all.
Zuma

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2014, 01:51:45 pm »
We've been bothered by crows in the last few yeas. They will get in the garden and take a bite out of each tomato then move to the next. If they would just pick one tomato and eat it I wouldn't mind but noooooo. They have to take a bite from each. Two years ago we had about a mile of cotton twine spider webbed all over the garden plus aluminum foil flags all over the garden. I think the crows thought it was a party and invited more friends for the feast.
  A few years ago something stripped the leaves off our tomatoes and okra. Why anything would prefer tomato leaves or okra leaves over other edibles in my garden is a surprise to me. I think this culprit was a whistle pig(ground hog).
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Marks

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2014, 10:30:39 am »
Went to my garden either Thurs or Fri and all of the jalapenos from only 1 plant were laying on the ground around that plant not eaten. I could see bite marks on the stems where the culprit bit it off so I don't think it was a coon. My parents have a squirrel and rabbits around the house and any other critter that might wander by.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2014, 09:14:46 pm »
Wayne, it was a opossum, turns out he likes a rat poison, papaya, smoothie more then grapes. Haven't seen him in a while >:D It's funny, nothing wants to eat my Ghost and Scorpion peppers :D
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2014, 08:35:09 am »
Yep those possums sure do love grapes, used to go out and shoot them at nite out of the vines.This year we have a mocking bird nest in the vines and they are attacking everything in the yard. First year I didn't have any squirrels in my lychee trees !!!.My pine apples are getting ripe so it's about time to coon proof them. I put a garbage can over them at nite with a weight on it,coons know when your going to pick them and they get them the nite before >:(.nothing like a golden sun ripened pineapple ;D Wayne last year I made little wire cages to go over my last dozen mangoes. They worked good for squirrels but the coons just grabbed mangoes cage and all ! So far nothing is messing with my atemoyas but me.
Venice Florida

Offline Zuma

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2014, 08:02:40 pm »
Crapola,
I'm thinking of throwing in the towel.
I was pretty ill last week. The June Bugs were buzzin but they never did much harm in the garden before. Chewed some leaves or wormed into ears but this is bad bad.
The surviving corn is chest high but got infested while I was out of commission.
Maybe the caterpilers are't June Bugs but there were a couple adult junies in with the cats.
Yuck,
Zuma

Offline Zuma

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2014, 08:00:30 pm »
Now this---