Author Topic: Need Help IDing our Bush!  (Read 1401 times)

Offline Tetsuoh

• Part-Time Primitive
Need Help IDing our Bush!
« on: May 19, 2014, 05:22:44 pm »
Got a nice straight limbed bush growing in the back we plan to clip this winter.

I'm pretty sure it's is a viburnum, but I'm new to identifying dogwood (and any other shrub really), so I'm not sure.

Anyone know what it is?

"In a world full of green, you'd be surprised how many want to see it burn. In a world full of cold grey, you'd be ashamed to see how many remember the green."

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Need Help IDing our Bush!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 06:42:19 pm »
It looks like a dogwood or viburnum. Where do you live? That might help ID this plant.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tetsuoh

• Part-Time Primitive
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 08:18:19 pm »
Ah we're in western Ohio. and those pictures are only a day old if that helps to fit its season.

It was planted by my buddy's grandmother originally, but she doesn't remember what it was called.

"In a world full of green, you'd be surprised how many want to see it burn. In a world full of cold grey, you'd be ashamed to see how many remember the green."

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 08:37:56 pm »
I think its a viburnum. If there are any shoots 3/8" in diameter they should make good arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tetsuoh

• Part-Time Primitive
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 12:21:05 am »
There's quite a few of them. and should quite a few more by winter.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 12:58:41 am »
I think its a viburnum. If there are any shoots 3/8" in diameter they should make good arrows.

I would add that you would preferably harvest the second year shoots.  The first yr will only have leaves, the second yr growth will have twigs.  At least that's the case with species I'm familiar with.  The second yr growth makes much better arrows.  Josh