Author Topic: 60" Osage recurve  (Read 1992 times)

Offline stone_huntsman

60" Osage recurve
« on: May 22, 2014, 02:19:35 am »
I've been working on a few bows here lately. I finished this one up here recently. This bow come from a Osage stave that was eat up with bug holes, but I chased a ring until I got to one with only one bug hole mid (on what is now the bottom) limb.

I didn't think it would be a problem so I started removing wood. Once I had it to floor tiller I noticed a tiny splinter starting to form at the bug hole.  I put small amount of sinew, I had laying around, over the crack to hold it down. Once the sinew dried I tested it and it seemed to keep the splinter from rising.  I had a little sinew left over so I matched up the other limb with a little sinew for aesthetic purposes.

It is a 60", 47# @ 26". I added some decorations and used Dacron B-50 to make the string. It shoots great, I've shot around 200 arrows with it. It's one of the faster shooting bows I've made.  I am definitely proud of this one.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 02:24:11 am by stone_huntsman »

mikekeswick

Re: 60" Osage recurve
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 03:21:31 am »
Interesting artwork!
If you look at the unbraced pic and then the drawn picture it appears as though the upper limb is only really bending at one spot about 6 - 8 inches up from the handle.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 03:30:35 am »
Interesting artwork!
If you look at the unbraced pic and then the drawn picture it appears as though the upper limb is only really bending at one spot about 6 - 8 inches up from the handle.
If that's the case, all he has to do to fix it is to call it a Molly ;)  >:D
Del ;)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline stone_huntsman

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 08:25:06 am »
Mike I can see where you're talking about and I noticed it before.  I've actually scraped off some of the wood on the upper limb to get it bending better. I worked on a tillering tree and it looked like I had even bending. I'm gonna check it again though, I may need to take off a little more. 

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 10:31:04 am »
Nice job!  Congratulations.
1’—>1’