Author Topic: Chow down from the Woods and Garden  (Read 11380 times)

Offline Zuma

Chow down from the Woods and Garden
« on: May 24, 2014, 11:18:56 pm »
 When we moved to the country from the city dad learned to plant and taught me.
He never harvested wild animals for food. He farmed animals but I have hunted ever since I could.
Edible wild plants were never mentioned. For good reason as I recall. We were totally ignorant of them. Actually a good thing because in my thinking we were not genetically acclimated. I don't think I still am.
No matter. I collect seeds from plants that agree with me and always plant and try others ( a little at a time).
Well that's a lot of yada yada.
Here is what I would like the thread to be about because I know you folks KNOW.
Do you have recipes from your garden veggies and your hunting triumphs? A little store bought too!
Throw in edible wild plants as well.
I never have documented the content of the meals I have cooked and enjoyed, until being retired recently.
Here is one I liked yesterday.

Dice 1/2 onion, into oiled pan, while fine chopping greens. Kale, collards spinach (broccoli leaves or heads) too. Rosemary, thyme, sage and oregano go in pan to wilt with the greens..
Set the pesto aside while you fry the steaks in butter and double black pepper.
When you flip the steak, add the pesto and let it reduce a little.
A dash of wine or beer as things dry a bit. Sprinkle in some corn starch or flour to re-thicken and add texture. Chefs fold, rednecks stir a bit.
A tomato when they come in would be last.
 Serve when blended.
Zuma
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 11:45:26 pm by Zuma »
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Chow down from the Woods and Garden
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 12:00:54 am »
Take one 6-8 inch section from the large end of a venison backstrap.  Dig two wild onions, wash 'em up good.  Take the narrowest, pointiest boning knife you got and slide it tip end first about 1/3 of the way into either end of the roast.  Stuff the wild onions in.  Wrap with a few strips of fatty bacon and roast in the oven at 450 degrees F until interior temp hits 135 degrees MAX.

Pull from the oven and let it rest ten minutes on a warm plate with a loose tent of foil over it.

Slice 3/4 inch thisk slices.  If your slice gets the onion, discard the onion.  Unless you rrrrrrreally like the taste of onion.

Alternately, feed the wild onions to your neighbor's milk cow.  Snicker all the way home.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 12:10:41 am »
I knew I could ferret you out JW.
I had an idea it was you messin with my stock.
No matter I rrrrrealy like onions.
Your neighbor,
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 10:16:19 am »
Large venison roast, backstrap or rump, and butterfly it open.  Take some olive oil and add fresh sage, rosemary, marjoram, chives and garlic all chopped up fine and mix well.  Butter the roast well with the mix, roll it up and cook till tender.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 01:32:40 pm »
Thanks Marc

Slow cooked Goose,
Take two breast filets marinate in refrigerator  with a beef type marinate for a day. Place in crock pot with cubed fresh onion, potatoes and carrots. Add some spices that you like and some beef gravy. Put crock pot on slow cook for approx. 7 hrs.   Salt and pepper only after being served on plate.
 Bon Appetite from Claire`s Kitchen.
Zuma

This works well for Sandhill Crane too.
You cook your dinner while you are hunting more birds.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 09:07:50 pm »
Here's one from about 40 years ago while out on a weekend duck hunt.

Take one Coot, stuff with Wild Raisins (Witherod Berries) and cook in a large can half full of water for about 3 hours, keep adding water as needed.  Once done throw away the Coot and drink the broth and eat the berries  :)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 10:55:32 pm »
My wife and I swore off beef and pork several years ago. Eat mostly venison, turkey and chicken.

Large venison roast in a slow cooker with two cans of cream of mushroom soup. Cook all day until it is falling apart.

I bought some Breakfast Saugsage mix from the Sausage Maker Company. I buy a pound of ground turkey and mix the breakfast blend and add plenty of ground sage along with ground cayenne pepper. Makes a good breakfast.

Try slicing a cabbage into 1/4 inch slices and put in a large skillet. Cook it until all the cabbage wilts and browns all over with some butter and pepper added. Fantastic.

Last one, we put kale, broccoli, celery, 1/2 avocado, 4 dates, 1 banana, 1 apple and spinach into a Vitmix and blend it into a slurry. Great and healthy breakfast drink. It will be green as grass but good.

Okay one more; I got a meat tenderizer that you can put tenderloin butterflies through and it makes a sort of Salsbury Steak. Drag it through some flour and fry it in a skillet, then add water and more flour to make a gravy. Cook on low for hour or two and enjoy.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Zuma

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 11:14:49 pm »
Marc,
We let the coots fly by. If one gets a pellet intended for an eater, the dogs are trained not to retrieve them, or bring them to an others blind.

nc
Yummm, I was saving the cream of mushroom and deer for later. lol
I have given up modern beef as well. We must be blessed to have access to good meat. I for some reason have had bad luck here with cabbage, will try again.
Zuma

Offline Zuma

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 05:13:35 pm »
I should have mentioned Pond, lake, river bay and ocean in the op. Not just the woods and garden.

Catch a Striped Bass. Filet it. Take as much as you want to eat 1"-1 1/4" thick and season to taste.
Tear up some greens and or whatever is ready in the garden. Broccoli is good this time of year. I add sliced peppers I have frozen from last year.
 Nothing wrong with some jalapeno or hot sauce.
Fresh mushrooms if you are lucky enough to find some.
Heat up the wok or big skillet, medium/high. Slice up some onion.
Tops from the garden will do. Oil the pan well and drop in the veggies to wilt a bit. Clear a space in the center for the fish and add a pad of butter to it.
Put in the filet when the butter melts. Cook for about two and a half minuets on each side. slide half the greens under the fish and cover the fish with the rest. Lower to medium heat.
Pour in a half cup of white wine. Steam with a lid on for 3-4 minuets.
Goes good with a chilled Muscato or Pinot Grigio if you are old enough.lol
Zuma

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 07:54:59 pm »
Get a good big fire going and let it burn down to a thick bed of coals.

Rake the ash off the coals.

Lay a 1.5 inch thick venison steak on the coals and give it 60 seconds.  Lift off the steak, stir up the coals, return the steak for another 60 seconds.

Plate, let rest 3-5 minutes, and serve.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 10:18:51 pm »
OOOH, la la!, Then dig a couple early potatoes out of the coals.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 11:20:24 pm »
 Don;
 If you go to the Dade City Knap-inn next year you can cook. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 11:40:11 pm »
 Pheasant soup . BBQ the pheasant (not too long) then add some strips of bacon on top and cook in the oven  on low heat  . BBQ some corn on the cob as well.What doesn't get eaten  , saute with a little red wine , garlic, sweet onion, thyme , parsley, sage, carrots, parsnip . Add some water and let it simmer untill it smells good enough to eat.
  The smokey flavour of the BBQ and bacon  really comes out in the soup . The sweet onion and corn give it a nice hearty flavour for a cold Fall day.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 04:45:32 am »
Monday I had FRESH Walleye fillets from Saginaw Bay - perfect eatin' size,17" to 20". Pan sauted with butter & garlic - no breading ! MMMMMMMMMMMMMM !
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 08:10:51 am »
Many meals are caught in the bay for us . Last night was fresh spotted trout,green beans and cucumber salad from the garden and a nice ripe mango off the Nom Doc Mi tree in the front yard.Could have had some homemade wine but opted for a beer(store bought) I grill my trout with a little lemon and Everglades Heat. I don't mind cookin' and I really like eatin'
Roger
Venice Florida