Author Topic: Chow down from the Woods and Garden  (Read 11451 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Chow down from the Woods and Garden
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2014, 09:20:28 pm »
Zuma - Flake the Fish in a bowl and add the following (all amounts aprx) - half a sleeve of Saltines crushed, half a small Onion diced fine, one Egg, a "splash" of Milk and a heaping Tbs. of Miracle Whip. Mix well and let stand in the fridge for an hour or so. Form the mixture into patties and drop in a hot cast iron - brown well on both sides and ENJOY ! Bob

Old Bay Seasoning peps it up nicely, too.  I do the same thing with trout.  I grill them over very hot coals until the skin blisters but the meat is just short of "done".  It takes practice.  That way, the meat pulls off the bones nicely. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2014, 10:41:55 pm »
It is not quite time yet for Taylor Blues or garden potatoes.
Although mine have been flowering for over a week.
But while I am thinking about JW's tasty dish I'll post this--
Dern near like eating trout JW. (no need for old bay) lol
In the fall the young Blue Fish migrate towards the ocean from the bays.
You can cast spinners or other trout type lures and catch a hundred or so
10-13 inch long baby blues. Just gut them and throw them on the Barbie.
Peel them out of their skins and serve with potato salad and a couple brewskis.
Zuma
Can't wait for the peppers to grow.
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2014, 04:58:15 am »
Dang - I forgot the seasonings  >:( ! I add OldBay, Lemmon Pepper and fresh cracked Black Pepper. No Salt 'cause of the OldBay and Saltines.  - Thanks JDub. For side dish, Ya can't beat a batch of good old fried 'Taters in the cast iron skillet! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2014, 12:34:02 am »
Free Lance.
Didn't want meat tonight. Looked in the frig. There was a open can of beans,
Of course the garden is doing well with greens. And I remembered I bought some
 wild rice a while ago. Ca ching!
Put the burner on and diced the onion over the wok. Poured in some oil and tore the greens.
Kale, collards and broccoli. Of course rosemary, sage and thyme with a good splash of hot Texas and Jalapeno. I had some romaine that needed to be cooked. Get in the pot Romaine. The pot is hot.
Things are steaming and smelling good. In go a cup and a half of canned Red Kidneys to cook with the rest while I check the posts on PA.. lol  Get back and put in a cup of cold water till it boils.
In goes a cup of rice and a top lid for twelve minuets of boil, then lid off to reduce and finish the rice.
No salt, no pepper but tasty as lemonade on a hot summers day.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2014, 03:02:30 pm »
I save all the trimmings of sinew and gristle from my deer/antelope/what-have-you.  They all go in a crock pot on low with a little water for a low and slow overnight.  They go thru the grinder when still warm and back into the crock pot for another low and slow session.  Keep adding water so that it is just wet to the surface.  When this has cooked down into a mess of hide glue and meat grindings, I spread it out on a cookie sheet and pop it in the fridge.

Once it sets up like meat knox-blox jigglers, they get cut into little chunks for dog treats.  I used these and trained my dog voluntarily do dishes for me (ok, she naturally wanted to lick the plates clean) but she will do anything for these goodies.  No artificial ingredients, all natural, organic, free range dog treats.  Just be careful, introduce slowly to your dog because they may cause farts that will peel the enamel off your teeth and lead to divorce.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2014, 12:31:01 pm »
JW... thats atleast twice this year you've made me shoot coffee violently from my nose! Funny stuff right there...and...i gotta go catch some stryper and walleye...nothin beats a walleye samich with mayo, onion,and tomato... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2014, 12:57:09 pm »
JW... thats atleast twice this year you've made me shoot coffee violently from my nose! Funny stuff right there...and...i gotta go catch some stryper and walleye...nothin beats a walleye samich with mayo, onion,and tomato... Brian

Koan, you need to reinforce your inner locus of control in order to avoid being adversely reactive to the environment around you. 

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2014, 01:08:40 pm »
Easier to just NOT drink coffee while readin your post... lol
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2014, 02:00:05 pm »
I've started using oat meal as a filler for fish cakes, meat loaf and meet balls. Works and tastes great and slightly more healthy than other fillers.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Zuma

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2014, 12:03:08 pm »
Funny guys,
Pat the oatmeal sound good. I eat it with fruit for breakfast.
I have been chowin on the garden greens onions and zuccini's.
The tomatoes are comming on and maybe tonight I bite a couple.
I have cooked it all with ground venison and pasta. Frozen tomatoes from last year. Yumm
I see there is a new Cooking Forum.
Zuma

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2014, 03:11:08 pm »
Picked a dozen 2# channel cats out of the Belle Fourche River last nite.  They are gutted and beheaded and will be going in the brine soon.  I intend to have some smoked catfish in the freezer for healthy snacking this summer.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2014, 05:08:36 pm »
Smoked catfish?  Never tried that, but it should work fine enough.  Catfish is fairly mild flavored, so it should take on the flavor induced by the smoke nicely.

Time to mix up some of my dad's patented peanut butter and cow's liver cat fish bait!

OneBow

Offline Zuma

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2014, 01:18:37 pm »
Humm ,
My buddy smokes most everything.
I will see if I can get him to smoke the cats I catch.
Don't know if he has rolling paper big enough?
Zuma