Author Topic: sealing river cane  (Read 11722 times)

Offline beartail

sealing river cane
« on: May 26, 2014, 10:54:51 pm »

I got 9 shafts straightened knocked. I plan on ordering some feathers soon as I can.i haven't had much luck with wood stains on cane because of the natural sheen on it.I have used shoe die and it dos a little better.i plan on getting black feathers and dyeing both ends of the shafts and leaving the middle natural.kinda fadeing the black toward the middle.i think that will look cool.im gonna make my points out of 20 penny nails.witch would you use,dye or stain.and how would you seal them.would you use no sealant? like I mentioned,river cane has a waxy like coatin. would that be suffishant?

Offline Newindian

Re: sealing river cane
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 12:17:25 am »
You need to scrape and sand the shiny rind off if you want it to take a stain at all, this rind is not water proof, I don't make many arrows but I seal with poly and haven't had problems 
I like free stuff.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 12:42:29 am »
I've just made myself 6 hill cane arrows. After straightening I scraped the rind off and sealed with 2 coats of Tru-Oil. I like cane arrows natural color or scorched decoration.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

gutpile

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 03:12:41 pm »
I have never sealed cane..it has a waxy rhine which is good enough for the Indians ..well its good enough for me... no need to seal it anyway...quit trying to make something so simple complicated... over analyzing .. have fun and Keep it simple...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 03:30:57 pm »
I scrape all mine clean and seal with tung oil, tru oil or just paste wax. I have left some raw and found that if lost for a night, they get all spongey and crappy fast. Hence why I over-complicate them with a sealer.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

gutpile

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 02:17:20 pm »
thats odd cause even the standing dead cane I find isn't spongy.... I have had cane out over a month..where the deer toted off shaft and dropped it..found later..still not spongy  but was broken....where you at Pearl?...another thing..this cane I got is purple some green too hardens yellow still...great stuff...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 02:38:12 pm »
I would not use standing dead cane. It takes on rot very quickly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 02:43:22 pm »
Im in Michigan, but my Hill cane comes from NC.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

gutpile

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 03:02:59 pm »
never said I use standing dead cane..I don't..its just not spongy unless its been on ground a while..

gutpile

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 03:05:25 pm »
I have never used Hill cane..but would assume properties are the same..maybe just not as durable as river cane...I have spoke with many about my rivercane..being purple and no one has ever heard of purple cane..lol...its tough stuff...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 03:14:09 pm »
Id bet standing dead doesn't absorb the moisture a shaft lying on the ground would. Ive never used river cane but have been told my many that Hill cane is much, much stronger and has thicker walls. I cant confirm that. I can say Ive shot the same 4 hill cane arrows for two years running with no breaks, and Im one sucky shot! Just ask my friends who help find my arrows every other target.

gutpile

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 03:34:39 pm »
interesting....one of the many great things about river cane is spine tolerance..I can shoot cane with 15 lb range and fly perfect...of course they are foreshafted... tough as carbon, lightweight (one reason foreshafting improves penetration and FOC) water resistant naturally, easily straightened , and quite honestly the easiest type of arrow to make... plus NOTHING looks cooler than a foreshafted cane arrow with turkey feathers tied with sinew...and a stone point...it is the epitome of primitive.. gut

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 04:10:57 pm »
.I have spoke with many about my rivercane..being purple and no one has ever heard of purple cane..lol...its tough stuff...
  I've seen it.  Even some pink stuff out there when it's younger.  I gathered some last time I was in GA.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

gutpile

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 04:26:57 pm »
what part of Ga. did you find it?..Im in Newnan..west central close to bama..

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 04:41:36 pm »
I recently made 6 hill cane arrows from cane that was cut in 2006, 30" long, 5/16" at the nock, 3/8" at the point with 125gr points and they weigh between 552gr to 606gr. These were sealed with 2 coats of Tru-Oil, have self nocks(no inserts) with sinew wrap and the forward end of the fletching has sinew wrap.