Author Topic: Time to stop shakin and start breakin'  (Read 6213 times)

Offline DuBois

Time to stop shakin and start breakin'
« on: June 03, 2014, 09:59:07 pm »
I have come to the conclusion that I have learned less than I could have because I have been relying too heavily on backings.
I have spent a lot of time processing sinew and sinewing bows. Time that could have been spent making probably a half dozen self bows.

I also think I have been too worried about breaking wood so I have backed some that would have taught me something if they broke...or if the didn't.

Not just sinew but silk and rawhide too. I have decided to stop backing bows until I learnt to better tiller a bow. Tired of so much time into a bow that I don't do justice by my tiller...So it is time to stop shakin and start breakin and learn the skill of tillering a bow with no safety net,

What ya think of that?

Doobs

Offline Weylin

Re: Time to stop shakin and start breakin'
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 10:02:10 pm »
Sounds like a plan!

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 10:25:54 pm »
Could work in your favor Marco, if your not confident in your tiller skills this may be what you need. Some may break, flaws in wood, design or tiller error but your right it will teach you a lot. When most is going right a backing is rarely needed IMO. I'm the opposite, I've made 80+ bows since starting this obsession and have only backed 2, both with
rawhide, I just don't like the extra work involved in backing.  I've broken my share and I have had to put band aids on some though. ;)

I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 10:43:28 pm »
no room for fear building bows, just get to scraping, bows break sometimes, can't let the fear of failure slow ya down
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Hamish

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 11:08:13 pm »
Just make sure you are using the correct design with a proven bow wood. Then you can concentrate on tweaking the design and tiller to get the best performance out of it.
A backing can make the difference between a bow working and breaking if its a borderline bow wood, or has thin rings on the back. Use a backing where appropriate, if you don't need one for a particular stave don't use one.
     Sounds like you need to develop more patience when tillering, rather than trying to rush it. The more experienced you become the faster the bow will be made(within reason).
       Hamish.

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 12:06:13 am »
  Good decision, aside from wood or boo backed bows I feel like if a bow needs a backing I am gonna cut it up as kindling wood.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 01:22:49 am »
  Good decision, aside from wood or boo backed bows I feel like if a bow needs a backing I am gonna cut it up as kindling wood.
Heck yeah.  I haven't put a backing on one in a while.  If a piece of wood wants to bust, let it bust.  Build another one.  i ain't given one CPR or trying to baby it.  If it is tillered good and the back is good and slick, and it's a decent piece of bow wood to begin with, it will be durable.  I think you are on the right track DuBois.   
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 01:29:45 am by H Rhodes »
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 04:10:16 am »
We all strive to get every aspect of bowmaking into our game. I've not done enough with sinew, as the amount of work puts me off.
I guess on average, between us we've got it about right.
Follow your heart, we are all doing this for fun, right?
Del
(Ok, it's to get away from decorating and house work too....  ;)
...Yes Dear, I'll be in to lend a hand soon!  >:D )
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 04:20:05 am »

+1   ;D

The only exception is if I am purposefully making a bow too short for it intended drawlength...it's time for sinew and lots of reflex!

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 04:28:53 am »
These wives.... they ask you to do something and if you don't get it done fast enough, they nag you every 6 months about it!!!  ::) :laugh:

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 06:11:32 am »
Good choice, I do back one on occasion but it's not usually in the starting plan,if the wood is not exceptable to start I usually won't use it. Sometime in the middle I realize that the wood was not what I thought and rawhide back. Rarely sinew back because of the work and never because I think the wood needs it to hold together. Never backed one with Boo or wood at all. Not against it ,just never seen the need.  ;) :) Just jump right in,sure some will break but I imagine some of the backed bows break also. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 07:00:41 am »
Sounds like a good plan to me dooby;) I'm all for keeping it simple :)

Offline dwardo

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 08:19:30 am »
I only tend to soft back a bow for aesthetics these days and usually with silk. To hide an ugly back and maybe add a smidgin of insurance but I dont think it would ever stop a bow from breaking if was destined.

So half the bows you backed probably didnt need it anyway  ;)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 10:29:07 am »
Well, I always counsel beginners to back their first few.
I won't hunt with a baked bow.
I agree with Pappy.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 11:18:08 am »

+1   ;D

The only exception is if I am purposefully making a bow too short for it intended drawlength...it's time for sinew and lots of reflex!

Mike I agree on the sinew, I consider sinew bows to be a style on their own. I maybe do one or two sinew bows a year.