Author Topic: Keeping It Simple  (Read 3452 times)

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
Keeping It Simple
« on: June 10, 2014, 11:31:29 pm »
First of all, this is the first bow I've posted here. I've been lurking around on the forums for over a year, but just actually made an account not too long ago. So this is the first one getting posted, but not the first one I've made. I've done about 15 I guess over the last year.

---

After my last few bows haven't turned out well for one reason or another, this one has helped me get my confidence back.

It's a simple design and the execution of it is the best of all that have had this layout.

Realizing that my shooting had plateaued a while back, I wanted to have a good practice bow in the 40-45# range that I could shoot a lot and try to work on my accuracy and consistency with. I now have that bow. I plan on shooting this one a lot.

Next up is to make a (or perhaps several) 50-55# bow(s). Once I have one that I'm happy with, that will be my deer hunting bow this season. Around late August/September, I'll make the switch and start shooting that one exclusively. Until then, this is the one I'll be spending the most time with.

The wood is oak from Menards -- not positive if it's red or white, but it's probably red, even though the wood was paler than most of the red I've worked.

70" nock-to-nock
42# @ 29"
A pleasure to shoot.

Now I just need to tune some arrows to it and get to shooting!

(When I went to take pictures today, I was first disappointed that the lighting was kind of dull. And then I realized my camera was dead. So these are phone pictures. I will probably take some better ones in better light soon. At least an up-to-date full draw picture.)

---

The Back

The back is trapped moderately, which should be visible in this picture.

Length is 70" nock-to-nock. Pretty straight-forward design that I've come to like. Bow is just under 2" at its widest, maintains this width for 5 or 6 inches off the fades, and then tapers to the tips. Both tips are right about 1/2" at the nocks. Limbs are asymmetrical, the top limb being longer by (I think) 1 1/2".

This is the third or fourth bow I've done with this design, and so far this is the best execution of it. The next one up will also be this design, but wider (aiming for 50-55#).

The Belly

Handle Section

The handle is wrapped in jute twine. No shelf, but an "indexer" of sorts. I like to shoot off the hand, so the built up ridge serves as a way to know where to place my hand and the arrow.

The bow was stained with Varatane "Cabernet." At first I wasn't entirely sure how I felt about the color, but I like it. I need to work on my staining (and finishing), but overall, it looks nice.

Text reads "42# @ 29" / AJD / June 2014." (AJD are my initials.)

(Rested) Unbraced Profile

Braced Profile

Top Nock - Belly Side

I've done these style nocks a few times. I think of them as a kind of hybrid between side nocks and pin nocks. They are self-nocks, as you can tell (mostly in the next picture), and styled as I usually do them.

They aren't the skinniest tips ever done, but I think they're pretty narrow. I have pretty thin fingers, and the tips are smaller than my pinky.

The bottom nock looks slightly different because the string (with a bowyer's knot) was slipping. It actually overtightened itself right off the bow as I drew once -- and scared the crap out of me in the process! So with a little adjustment the string stays put now.

Top Nock - Back Side

Full Draw

Sorry for no up-to-date full draw photo. This was taken after the bow had its final scrapes, somewhere in the middle of being shot in, and before being stained/finished.

I'll get a current one soon.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Keeping It Simple
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 11:38:19 pm »
Thats a great looking bow! I like those nocks. They would make me a little nervous though. I like the color also. Keep up the good work, and welcome to PA.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 11:43:30 pm »
  That is a nice job on that one. Congratulations!

Offline Will H

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 12:00:28 am »
Welcome to PA :) nice bow! Congrats!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline DuBois

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 12:12:16 am »
Maybe I better get meself some red oak boards. Very nice job!
And welcome!

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 12:19:42 am »
'Bout time ;)

Great looking bow, obviously the product of some good work! I don't know what I'd think of those nocks without trying them myself, but I'm sure you have it figured out well enough.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 12:33:14 am »
What is it about the nocks that you guys aren't so sure about?  Just that they're self nocks?

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 02:03:54 am »
It's just the way they're shaped as a bit of a slope for me. I'd be afraid of my string eventually stretching over the single shoulder. If there was a peak keeping the string in place it'd only be a question of whether or not one point of contact is enough to keep the string from splitting the tip.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 02:42:04 am »
That is one classically simple bow that is very well executed.  Great job. 

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 02:43:29 am »
Oh almost forgot welcome to PA.  Can't wait to see your next one and the ten after that >:D

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 02:48:10 am »
nice bow and welcome to PA

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 05:16:37 am »
Welcome,looks like a sweet shooter to me. Nice work. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 05:19:49 am »
There's something about those kind of bows I really like. The straight line taper from fades to tip just appeals to me for some reason. I might have to go and find an elm board or something and try it out, I've only got staves and nothing clean enough to achieve that I don't think... very nice effort  :laugh:

blackhawk

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 07:22:30 am »
Cool..congrats...welcome to the fun!!! How bout trying one of those plantation pines next..that'll get your confidence up too  :laugh:

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 08:03:22 am »
You have a nice bow there, very well done.  :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.