Author Topic: rotator cuff surgery!  (Read 7154 times)

Offline H Rhodes

Re: rotator cuff surgery!
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2014, 05:39:47 am »
Doc is going to do surgery this week.  He says that it will be at least twelve weeks till I can shoot a bow again.  I am going to attack my rehab with a full intent of having a bow in my lap when the leaves start to change.  We'll see how it goes.   :)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 06:03:52 am »
Best of luck.  Just do what the doctors and rehab people tell you.  Keep us updated on your recovery please.  On the same note, I shot a 43 lb self bow yesterday and could not get it back to my draw just yet.  I had surgery last Nov 1st.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2014, 06:08:05 am »
Thanks stringstretcher.  I will follow their orders to the letter and let you know how it goes.  I have one tear at one of the shoulder muscles toward the outside edge of the shoulder - he said the name of the muscle but doggoned if I can remember it.   I don't think it is going to be as severe as yours, from the way the doc described it.  I know it hurts plenty now.  Enough so, that I am looking forward to getting it fixed.  Maybe hunting season won't be a complete wash.  I am glad you have a bow back in your hand!  Here's wishing you a complete recovery real soon.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 09:53:48 am »
Hey guys!  Wanted to give you guys an update.  Surgery went well.  Therapy is progressing well.  Doc says that I should be shooting a bow by October.  Injury wasn't as bad as it could have been - i had a partial bicep tear and rotator cuff tear.   I miss this site, as I don't have internet service out at the farm.  Thanks for all the well wishing and the prayers.   Be back to work in about six weeks if everything goes as planned.   I am back to making arrows anyway... :) 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline bubby

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 10:37:58 am »
Great news Howard, I'm glad it wasn't as bad as you thought, welcome back
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline autologus

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 11:25:00 am »
That is awesome to hear about a good recovery.  At least you can make arrows, that should be good therapy for both the mind and body.  :)

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 08:18:27 pm »
Thanks for the update,......sounds like some good news.  :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 08:28:09 pm »
Good to hear Howard, wondered where you been. I know you don't have internet out there at home and knew you were looking at surgery so I had kinda figured you were staying close to your caretaker at home and recovering.  :)
Take it easy so you can get back in the woods this fall.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 09:46:30 pm »
Good news Howard.  Keep at that therapy. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 01:58:17 pm »
Glad to hear that it was not as bad - still hurts donit? Good luck with the therapy and healing!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 05:31:48 pm »
 Glad to hear your climbing back in the saddle Howard... Just don't push it though...Heal quickly, fall is around the corner!
                                                                                                                              Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2014, 01:02:39 pm »
Okay folks, here's an update.  I am glad to say that I was able to shoot my 45lb bow a few shots yesterday afternoon without any pain.  Therapy is an ongoing thing, but the operation was a great success.  I feel like my shoulder is a little over halfway back to it's former strength.  They told me on the 26th of June, the day of the surgery,  that it would take eight weeks to get back to where I was at the time of surgery and then another four weeks till I am back to work.  I am scheduled to return to work on September 14 and I can't wait.  Rotator cuff surgery and related physical therapy has made for a rather lack luster summer, but I am glad to have the worst of it behind me.  Thanks again for all your thoughts and prayers.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2014, 05:29:57 pm »
 Howard, glad to here that...I am shocked you are shooting already and that's great, you should be in top form by fall/rut season! Way to go ;)
                                                                                                               Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2014, 07:24:57 pm »
Good to hear that....Howard   :) :)
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2014, 08:59:35 pm »
Are you having a full rotator cuff surgery or microscopic that will depend on the amount of damage. I've had both done the scope twice. The full surgery was on my right sholder and it took me about 8 months to regain full movement. That was 2 years ago. The scope took about 8 weeks both times. But that being said, I was able to shoot a 125lb English war bow at mojam this year without any trouble.
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!