Author Topic: exercising limbs when tillering  (Read 1283 times)

Offline Richard B

exercising limbs when tillering
« on: June 15, 2014, 06:17:53 am »
Basic question from a newbie. How long do you hold tension on a bow when exercising limbs?
Do you just pull the string and (gently) release it, or hold it at whatever draw length you are on for a few seconds?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: exercising limbs when tillering
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 08:40:28 am »
Don't ever hold a wood bow for longer than necessary. Vague answer I know, but its very true. Holding for a second is plenty long enough.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 09:06:12 am »
It's not a vague answer. It is a good one, PD.
What I do is pull and release 10 or so times at a very short draw length...perhaps 10-15 inches, Richard.
If you don't exercise the bow between wood removal it will eventually work itself in when you least expect it.
Don't take off too much wood at a time. I even count the passes with my scraper-like tool (20 or so) and once I string it I only use the scraper.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Will H

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 09:46:15 am »
No longer than you would if you were shooting it.
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 09:47:26 am »
When I get to about 20" of draw I short draw shoot the bow, probably a dozen arrows between scraping sessions. I have found this registers scraping changes better than just pulling the bow back to exercise it.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 10:11:34 am »
Same here Eric, but I typically start shooting at around 23-24 inches.  Half a dozen shots or so and then check the tiller.  At this point it should be a matter of fine tuning the tiller with no big moves as a rule.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 11:48:33 am »
I do similar to these other guys. Be sure that both limbs are bending evenly and together before working the limbs too much. I usually exercise the bow with each wood removal but only starting with short drawn and slow release and gradually work it out farther as tillering progresses. Also after I pass brace height, and everything is still good I will "sweat" the bow by low bracing and letting it sit braced for an hour or so. As tillering progresses I extent the sweating time up to 5 or 6 hours at a time until the bow is tillered. By doing this I am insured the bow can take can handle the longer brace time when shooting targets and hunting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 11:57:40 am »
i'm with Pat on sweating the bow, in fact I leave it braced the whole time I tiller, I think its easier on the bow than constantly stringing and unstringing
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Weylin

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 12:13:41 pm »
I don't go out of my way to exercise the bow. It gets pulled plenty as I examine where the bow's working. I feel like more than that is just putting the bow through unnecessary stress. I totally agree about not stopping with the bow drawn out. One second at the max.

Offline Richard B

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 12:22:03 pm »
Many thanks for all the helpful comments. I have been tillering and exercising my elm bow (and myself!) all afternoon. I now have it at full brace and 55lbs at 23". I will post some pics on my "elm stave" topic and would welcome any advice on where to remove wood to bring it to my target of 55lbs at 28". I guess now would be a good time to shoot some arrows at 23" draw! :)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 03:42:35 pm »
I am with Pat as well on the leaving strung for a while. My bows always come in over poundage with gizmo tillering, as I drop poundage, between scraping sessions, I may leave a bow strung for up to 6 hours when I get within 5# or so of my target.